Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What's your gas / electric bill monthly please..

(28 Posts)
HappyJoyful Tue 16-Jul-13 10:44:31

A friend and her husband have been having what they think (and I think too) quite heavy and unexplained bills.

They have an end of terrace, reasonably large 3 bed house, they don't have heating on constantly, usual washing loads for washing machine, and showers etc, no tumble tryer and just them in the house (well she's a childminder) but no others living there.

They are paying £80 a month electricity and £120 gas. Do you think this is excessive and if so would appreciate any thoughts on what it could be?

They've been told by both suppliers that if they want someone to come and check their meters then they have to fork out quite a considerable sum which is non refundable if nothing is found to be wrong.

Can you give me an estimate as to whether you think this is the going rate? I certainly don't pay this much.

Mum2Fergus Wed 24-Jul-13 17:33:04

£73pm gas and electric combined.

ParsingFancy Wed 24-Jul-13 17:01:08

£120 a month for gas in midsummer is a stonking amount. Even if that's averaged over a year, it's still very, very high.

How many people are taking showers/baths there, and how is their hot water set? If they have a poorly insulated hot water tank, set to be on 70 degrees all the time, that would contribute. Also, do they have teenagers who stand under the hot water in a daze for 20 mins?

Also, is their washing machine correctly plumbed in and only using a cold fill?

frissonpink Wed 24-Jul-13 16:53:25

£100 a month..electric only.

I want to cry though reading some of these! £25 on electric?! HOW???!!

I switch everything off. Washer is only on once a day. Yes, electric shower, but again, only on overnight (economy 7). No dryer. Heating obviously off.

I'm with Scottish Power. Maybe I need to move!

HappyJoyful Wed 24-Jul-13 16:49:15

Thanks for all the tips she's looking into them.. I will mention the recent one about dual tariff and also yes be great to know if they do charge for coming out - she was told they would charge an awful lot if they don't find any fault, this is what made her anxious.

iloveweetos Fri 19-Jul-13 06:53:17

I don't think they would charge to come out but I might be wrong? DP works for BG I can ask him? Lol we live in a 3 bed semi and out bills are 75 for gas and 45 for elec. and we have a dryer. Can they monitor usage online? Have they tried a different company? Are they building up money on the account by over paying?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 19-Jul-13 06:45:47

One of the things that strikes me is you say the companies so it sounds like she is not on a dual fuel tariff with one company so unlikely to be getting the best deal. I would suggest she puts her figures into a price comparison website to see if she can get better prices.
Many companies particularly first utility have loads of tips on their website as to how to reduce costs such as turning down temperature on water tamno.

BMW6 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:12:44

Oh and both at home during day so heating on all day in Winter (DH works nights and I am retired)

BMW6 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:11:52

I am in 2 bed terrace & we pay around £30 pm for electricity and between £20pm in summer and £120 pm in winter for gas (gas CH)

Britich Gas is supplier for both.

HappyJoyful Thu 18-Jul-13 09:42:48

oh sorry to hear that Claimed you sound in a similar boat to they are..
I'm not sure even as a childminder she does have heating on that much and does have new double glazing - perhaps it is something to do with end of terrace though.
I'm seeing her later today so will pass on some of the things to check and to investigate as given the majority of people's bills it is seeming like her's is ridiculously high. Thanks!

gintastic Tue 16-Jul-13 20:52:18

Mine is First Utility on one of their fixed rate deals. Expires next March I think...

forevergreek Tue 16-Jul-13 20:38:46

Who are you all with?

We might only live in a one bed, but it's as large as many 3 bed houses. We never turn heating off, have several laptops/ computers/ tv/ tumble dry etc, although do have the most energy efficent of each on the market. And bills are as above. ( £27 for both gas and elec)- in fact the gas often owe us! ( and gas is only cooker top).

ClaimedByMe Tue 16-Jul-13 18:35:19

I am currently £250, £200 for electric and £50 for gas for a 3 bed mid terrace, I have cried today over this, I stopped using my drier in march when the bill came in and its not made any difference, this is actually making me ill sad

Alwayscheerful Tue 16-Jul-13 18:35:17

I can imagine if she is a childminder she has the heating on twice as much as someone who goes out to work. If it is a victorian end of terrace I bet the EPC is a D or even an E. Sometimes the end wll of an end of terrace is a single skin of brick and they leak heat like a sieve, what is her loft insulation like? Does she have double glazed windows? Sorry but the bills might be correct. Is she on the cheapest tarrif?

DottyDot Tue 16-Jul-13 18:30:48

ours is £115 a month combined and we're in a 3 bed semi - no tumble dryer or dishwasher but lots of gadget-y things and a PC which probably wolfs down electricity...

handcream Tue 16-Jul-13 18:26:24

£2 per month and £74 in a 5 bed house. I just dont believe it.....

forevergreek Tue 16-Jul-13 18:24:11

Electric - £25 a month
Gas - £2

1 bed large open planned flat . Heating included in rent

cathpip Tue 16-Jul-13 18:21:48

5 bed house I am a sahm with 2 kids, our electric is £74 a month.

Apples7 Tue 16-Jul-13 18:15:24

Wel ours is a 3 bed semi ditached 5 people & a dog its 40 gas & 43 electric a month! We use cold washes etc dont use the tumble drier got a wirly gig washing line thingy!
So its a bit big compared to others!

HappyJoyful Tue 16-Jul-13 13:08:19

thanks gintastic - as you say she would expect more in winter but even then your bigger property and kids etc would assume you'd use more.

gintastic Tue 16-Jul-13 12:05:36

I have a 5bed old cottage, 3 kids and a husband. Ours varies between £160 pcm in the winter (gas and electric combined). Just had last months and it was £55 - for both. We do supplement with a woodburner in the winter though... And pay £103 pcm all year round.

HappyJoyful Tue 16-Jul-13 11:52:21

Glad to know we're not imagining it that it appears high. Nope I can vouch that the house isn't tropical.

Interesting what is mentioned about the combined washer / dryer - I'm guilty of using that one, but they don't have one!

I will ask about boiler and check my own too

Really interesting - maybe their paranoia about neighbour's tapping in to it isn't far wrong ??! Can this happen ?!

specialsubject Tue 16-Jul-13 11:31:52

can't help with gas (We are on oil and have a boiler about to be replaced) but our electric bill is £30-£32 a month winter or summer. That is lights, cooking, washing machine (5-6 loads a week), dishwasher every other day, fridge, freezer etc. No tumble dryer. One TV (Not a gigantic plasma one), low-energy bulbs.

so that electric bill alone is huge.

gamerchick Tue 16-Jul-13 11:31:01

Tell them to check where the dial is on the boiler. I was getting huge bills because it was up high (combi boiler) it should be set at just past the 'quarter past the hour' so it works properly but helps consumption.

I use 100 quid electricity and 50 quid gas a month in a 4 bed end house.

Rikalaily Tue 16-Jul-13 11:26:36

I have a 3 bed mid terrace. Before when I was using my drier the bill had gone up to £140 a month for both, since I stopped using my drier (didn't stop using it to save money, it was just useless because it's a washer/dryer so easier to use the maiden and line) it's £120pm for both, our electric bill is always higher than our gas, even in winter. I'm in all day and we are not careful with our energy usage, in the winter we had our heating set so it came on if the house dropped below 22 degree's.

Their bill is massive! Have they had the CH checked? £120pm for gas is ALOT unless they keep the house feeling tropical 24/7.

HappyJoyful Tue 16-Jul-13 11:16:43

thanks beano, no it's not estimated.. it's an actual reading.

They're actually getting so upset and 'paranoid' about it that they think that the house next door is 'tapping' into their supply somehow! As they've asked so many people and no one seems to have anything as high as this for what they're usage and size of house should be. As you suggest it's almost double what you're being quoted as an estimate for a 3 bed.

I will suggest they ask at library to see if they can borrow a meter to monitor.

Sorry for perhaps my stupidity but it's hot and it's not springing to mind - what's an epc ? They're loft is well insulated so don't think it could be this a they've barely had the heating on over winter and used a coal / log fire most of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now