Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how long for tax credits?

(33 Posts)

please. sent in forms a week ago, its the bulk of the money i get to feed a family of 7 including 2 disabled children. partner doesnt get paid for 2 weeks.

might add that he is on a very low income as well.

AudrinaAdare Thu 11-Jul-13 09:32:36

Well that's something. Fingers crossed you'll hear from them soon smile

i dont think he has at all. he has some cash which he saved, and gets paid next week. he has paid the rent and council tax, and is giving me money for shopping tomorrow. we have provided everything tax credits etc need, just waiting on an award from them to send to the council and everything will be sorted then.

AudrinaAdare Thu 11-Jul-13 01:19:36

I went from being single to having DP / soon-to-be-DH added with minimal disruption in payments. This was in 2007 so things might have changed since then but I did have to jump through hoops wrt writing letters in advance to tax credits and income support and providing proof of his income. They couldn't action things until the date but having the paperwork saved a lot of time.

He had also, before moving in, saved enough to cover food and essential bills for the upcoming changeover should there be a delay. Why shouldn't he? I was a single woman with a child. He wanted to protect us when he came to live with us.

Cherry, I hope the tax credits get sorted very quickly, and that your new DP also steps up to the plate. He seems to have been a bit remiss so far, moving in with you and your children and no bloody plan B for you all.

just spoken to tax credits, there was a slight error on the form which is now corrected but still could be up to 3 weeks, and there is no way they can give me any money in the meantime.

oh i know it will be backdated to 25th june, but just wondered how long they expect me to do without it for.

MoodyDidIt Tue 09-Jul-13 21:41:43

oh they take the piss

took about a month when i changed from single to joint claim although this was a few years ago

but they do back date it

ooooooh, thanks Hoppus. its been 10 days so far though so not as fast as yours. they told me i wasnt allowed to call until 3 weeks.

MisselthwaiteManor Tue 09-Jul-13 15:20:13

We made a new claim for child tax credits last weds and got the money today, so 6 days. I would keep phoning.

yes partner has some cash, and i have some savings so can keep going for a week or two thankfully. yes brother still here, he helps me care for the children. he will continue giving me his rent money on mondays which will help.

BOF Sat 06-Jul-13 16:26:00

You must be packed to the rafters in there- is your brother still living with you?

ArtexMonkey Sat 06-Jul-13 08:38:02

Do the other two adults in the family have any money?

neither did i.

Goodness, didn't know they would stop payments then leave you with nothing shock

My landlord is housing association and they were fine with it. I think if you go and explain the situation you will be surprised at how understanding they are.

i have a little to last, and am getting carers allowance every saturday and child benefit every tuesday. landlord is council so not sure how sympathetic they will be.

You need to phone and keep pestering them. They lied to us saying that they'd sent forms out asking for extra details to explain the delay in dealing with our case and then said our application had been lost in the system.

Luckily our landlords were were sympathetic and didn't mind waiting a few weeks for our rent payment so that helped a lot.

lissieloo Fri 05-Jul-13 14:46:44

Sadly, I think there are a lot in the same boat. I presume there are other benefits you are receiving to help tide you over? Can you borrow from family?

well yes i know it will be sorted eventually, but i dont know how long they expect me to survive with no money.

lissieloo Fri 05-Jul-13 14:38:51

Oh dear, sorry. I'm sure you'll get it sorted though smile

they said approx 3 weeks, but not sure if i can make what i have stretch that long. i did ask if there was a way they could continue paying but they said no.

lissieloo Fri 05-Jul-13 14:27:54

then it could be weeks. Ask them to make a discretionary payment.

yes as my old claim is closed.

lissieloo Fri 05-Jul-13 14:21:56

so they stopped your usual payment?

yes i was claiming as a single parent, and have now put in a joint claim. there is no payment scheduled for monday according to the lady i spoke to earlier, nor has my paperwork been logged as being received despite being sent a week ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now