Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Chaps payment error

(2 Posts)
specialsubject Wed 03-Jul-13 21:14:51

I was reading about a similar error at the weekend. The good news is that it hasn't gone to a real live account; if it had they would have to get the permission of that account holder to get it back!

you need to put a rocket under your solicitor to get this sorted. Lots of phone calls, every hour on the hour.

Daniellelou Wed 03-Jul-13 20:40:27

I'm hoping someone can help. We are currently in the process of selling our house. On Monday our buyers completed their chaps transfer form in readiness to transfer their deposit monies across to the solicitors however they made one huge almighty cock up - they put the wrong account code in and therefore they deposit monies have vanished into the financial ether. Apparently the money has gone into an inactive bank account whatever that means! I was wondering if anyone has ever had the misfortune of Being in the same situation and if so any advice? Or whether there are any bankers out there that can offer their professional take on how long it may take to get this major problem resolved. The house we are purchasing has gone back on the market and I'm worries that we will lose our house due to my buyers f@@k up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now