Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Savings account with different pots of money?

(13 Posts)
MooseBeTimeForSpring Sun 07-Jul-13 19:08:56

The Woolwich used to do this. They were taken over by Barclays smile

holidaysarenice Sun 07-Jul-13 19:06:26

Barclays do this!

celticclan Thu 04-Jul-13 13:48:49

I have all my accounts with Santander, current account, joint current account, instant saver and esaver. Like some of the other posters I manage it online and sift money around as and when required.

Santander also allow you to put saving goals online but I haven't used that facility.

20wkbaby Thu 04-Jul-13 12:45:01

Thanks for the replies. If I kept it all in savings and never took it out I would happily keep it in one of my existing accounts, but as things are I have to keep 'borrowing' from savings and it is too much to keep track of via a spreadsheet.

Will have a look at ING.

specialsubject Wed 03-Jul-13 18:47:58

I think Lloyds do it too. They have a current account which pays up to 3% interest, which is the best you'll do at the moment. Don't sacrifice interest gained by keeping money in one account for the sake of budgeting. You only need a simple spreadsheet or even a notebook.

Mum2Fergus Wed 03-Jul-13 17:27:55

I know with Halifax and BoS accounts you can change their 'name' eg I have one called Rainy Day and another called DS savings...

mumblechum1 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:21:27

As Rockchick says, most banks do this. I have all my accounts with the Halifax, so can see them all on one sheet every time I log in. So I'll shift money around depending on where I need it to be.

DS also has this set up on his, so he has Current, Holiday, University, & Salary accounts.

nappydaysagain Wed 03-Jul-13 15:19:36

ING banking allow you to do this.

Rockchick1984 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:14:01

Surely it's just separate accounts with one provider so that you can see them all when you log in online? Most banks will let you name your accounts, for example Bills, Holiday etc.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Wed 03-Jul-13 14:07:25

I've never heard of them either. I do it myself though. One account with all the money in, then I have a spreadsheet with different columns in for different purposes/expenditures. Every time we put money in/take it out I update the spreadsheet so there is a record of which pot has what amount of money, if that makes any sense.

CarolBornAMan Wed 03-Jul-13 14:04:40

Ing Direct used to do this years ago - I had about 10 accounts linked up called "holiday" "clothes" "Xmas" etc - but not sure if they still exist..

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 03-Jul-13 14:01:10

Never heard of that sorry. Then again, I find it easy enough to set up a various savings accounts with my online bank and transfer money between them. Short term for emergency top-ups, longer-term for Christmas or holidays, Cash ISA for money I don't want to touch for a year or so....

20wkbaby Wed 03-Jul-13 13:19:18

I am looking for one account that enables you to save into different 'pots' for different purposes. I would never keep track otherwise. I keep hearing about them but have never come across one - anyone have one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now