Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So two school trips to pay for next year. Sob.

(15 Posts)
Nerfmother Sun 30-Jun-13 20:58:36

Thanks. I feel slightly less alone! Just amazed. I might email the school and say that this is just silly.

78bunion Sun 30-Jun-13 19:52:10

That is ridiculous and even would be so at a fee paying school. The only trips of ours are voluntary like the ski trip which most do not go on including mine.

Nerfmother Sat 29-Jun-13 20:34:37

Plus we have an estimated price.

Nerfmother Sat 29-Jun-13 20:34:19

Well hopefully it will get changed. But Thorpe park got the okay.

englishteacher78 Sat 29-Jun-13 20:24:17

I'm in shock that the students suggested a trip to Euro Disney and the school just said oh, ok then. My students come with all manner of wacky ideas and I just ignore them.

Nerfmother Sat 29-Jun-13 20:22:56

Hairy that is such a good point. Disneyland in term time okay for school as a treat but if I proposed one, wonder what they'd say.

Nerfmother Sat 29-Jun-13 20:21:52

Glad I'm not alone then iyswim. Seems I got off lightly if tantrums' experience is anything to go by! Neither of these are the optional six places to go skiing type trips either - the year six is just a given and the other one is proposed and voted for by the students. But all of them will go iyswim? I am gutted - we had managed to make an inroad into the debt but this will be a big expense. I've said no holiday next year ( this year it's only a caravan park!) if they go and I'll take the two little ones for a travel lodge adventure overnight instead.

englishteacher78 Sat 29-Jun-13 19:31:05

Wow! Those are ridiculous trips. My school offers a PGL trip once every two years and it takes place in the school holidays. It's an excellent trip, they learn loads but it is a 'jolly'. Therefore it shouldn't be in term time.
My year 10s are getting an end of term treat. A drama based lesson and a couple of essays to do over the holidays so they don't forget everything they've learnt. They've got too much to do to go to EuroDisney!

HairyPotter Sat 29-Jun-13 19:26:26

Dd1 was in Disneyland in may at a cost of £420 plus £150 spending money (most of which she came back with) and also was away for a week skiing with the school at £780 plus £100 spending money in January.

Neither trip could be classed as educational, she doesn't do French, she does German. She missed two whole weeks of school but if I tried to take her out for a fortnight, I would imagine they would have something to say.

RedPencils Sat 29-Jun-13 18:47:35

Disneyland. Wtf are they thinking? I've got twins and no way could I pay for that.
We've got PGL which is £150 each and that's a massive stretch for us.

BrianTheMole Sat 29-Jun-13 18:41:22

Euro disney? Whats educational about that??

Next year, 2 DCs drama trip to New York.
At a cost of £1200. EACH

sooperdooper Sat 29-Jun-13 18:34:26

School trip to Euro Disney?? How on earth can the school think that's an acceptable trip?? Totally over the top and ridiculous - the teachers should've vetoed that, of course the kids are going to come up with something crazy like that! There's surely no educational benefit to that trip either, I'd be utterly livid

Babyroobs Sat 29-Jun-13 18:27:20

I know how you feel - this year so far we have paid out £600 ( 4 kids) on trips- this includes ds's yr6 PGL trip , cubs trip at Easter , cubs and Brownies weekend camps x4 and deposit for dd's yr 4 trip next year. It doesn't include any hugely expensive trips for senior school which we will have to say no to. Thank goodness we can still claim child benefit which helps towards the cost.

Nerfmother Sat 29-Jun-13 18:15:54

Argh. Just when I thought I was getting there ds come home with a letter about the year six trip and dd announces the end of year ten trip will be euro Disney. Fgs. Apparently the kids came up with this themselves. This year was hard enough with Thorpe park. And it's in school time so they can go or stay with the lone few. Do schools have no idea that this stuff costs a lot? Especially when it's kind of non negotiable unless you want the guilt trip? So that's five hundred quid spent for me by the schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now