Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

work persistently underpaying me... what do I do now?

(13 Posts)

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

specialsubject Sun 30-Jun-13 22:50:37

ok, that was a generalisation and as such is always wrong.

it's just been my experience and that of people with whom I have worked. Always spoke directly to HR, always got promises of 'next month'...

RandomMess Sat 29-Jun-13 19:40:39

Put it all in writing to the store manager AND payroll AND HR?

AnyaKnowIt Sat 29-Jun-13 19:38:35

Put in a grievance under unlawful deduction of wages.

Thatsinteresting Sat 29-Jun-13 19:33:11

If you work for who I think you work for then payroll won't speak to you directly. I used to be a store manager and my staff were always paid correctly but when I stepped down my pay slip was wrong nearly every month and payroll got the blame. You should be able to trust your manager to sort this out for you but unfortunately there are no guarantees. I used to write down all the hours I'd worked day by day and tick off those I'd been paid for so that all the work had bern done for my manager and they just needed to email payroll with the details of your missing hours.
The cut off date is usually around 7th of the month so if something is not done by next weekend you won't get paid for another month. Give your details to your manager again, explain the situation and ask for a copy of the email they send payroll. Explain you want this done before the cut off. If it doesn't happen you're left with no choice but to raise a grievance. You could do that now if you wished but it doesn't help working relationships.
Finally if you are regularly doing overtime try and get your contracted hours changed. Firstly it'll mean your basic pay is higher so these problems are less likely to occur and secondly it'll provide you with increased sick and holiday pay which you will need if you've come to rely on overtime each month.

I'm pretty certain that all of this is due to imcompetent line managers and not payroll directly. In general the day to day runnin of the store is piss poor from a line manager perspective.
Its fairly infuriating to be honest as I've been on the management side of things and generally want to bang my head against the wall with them!!!!

SueDunome Fri 28-Jun-13 10:34:42

The Manager is not the person to speak to. You need to go directly to the Payroll/HR Department to check they have received the correct info.

I object to the generalised statement regarding Payroll/HR Departments. They can only process information they receive and, particularly in large companies, have to rely on Line Managers throughout the company getting it right. Funny how it's always Payroll who get the blame when 99% of the time the blame lies elsewhere

Jaffalemon Fri 28-Jun-13 10:20:43

Straight to head office and bypass your Manager.

Make it very clear that you have asked for this to be sorted at store level and it hasnt been done.

Give them clear info on what is owed and from when and i'm sure they will sort it out.

Does your company run a bonus scheme by any chance?

specialsubject Fri 28-Jun-13 10:13:05

HR and payroll are not famed for being the brightest or hardest working in any company. Get on to them yourself, set a timeframe for action (Not 'next month') and also contact your union if you have one.

qme Fri 28-Jun-13 09:21:13

did you contact your Payroll or/and HR?

DeepRedBetty Fri 28-Jun-13 09:20:27

placemark to help bump for op.

I should add they are a massive high street company

In my april pay I was short 11 hours pay, I took it to the manager, who then changed, the new manager went off sick, so I took it to another manager who said they'd "look into it". I photocopied my payslip, wrote down the day and date and the hours I worked that day. I worked out the difference in the hours they'd paid me and the hours I'd worked.

May pay... hours still missing. Went back to the manager who said they would "look into it" and repeated the whole process.

Paid for june today. I am now missing over 40 hours pay and I really cant do without the money. I owe the person who looks after my dd while I'm at work over £100 now, and although they're patient for it, I feel like I'm taking the piss out of them.

Where do I go from here?
Does anyone know time frames of when they have to pay me what's missing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now