Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nattional Insurance query - both employed and self employed

(1 Post)
MirandaWest Thu 27-Jun-13 13:39:09

I have several employed jobs and two self employed ones. Due to the nature of the work (nearly all connected with exams in one way or another) I don't work evenly throughout the year.

As I earn over the exemption limit for my self employment work I pay Class 2 and due to my profits pay Class 4 as well. With the employed work I pay Class 1 on the major job I have. As I only do it twice a year but it is quite well paid I end up paying a lot more Class 1 than I would if it were evenly spaced throughout the year (think I wouldn't pay any at all but not sure of the limits).

Is there anything that I can do about this or am I just stuck as National Insurance isn't treated the same way as tax? On gross earnings over a month period of about £2,200 I've just had to pay £200 NI which is a little frustrating when I'll only earn about £5,000 over the whole year for that work.

Thank you for anyone who knows more than I do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now