Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pension scheme closing - take lump sum or transfer to another scheme?

(5 Posts)
chocolateygoo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:50:29

Thanks for your messages, DH and DM agree. I still want to go spend it on 6 months somewhere with a genuine summer. Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to hope for some sunshine here instead... Bah humbug!

Notmadeofrib Tue 25-Jun-13 14:22:13

If you were ever made bankrupt that money would be safe, if you take it you are going to spend it. Transfer

specialsubject Tue 25-Jun-13 11:39:45

what unexpected said.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 24-Jun-13 23:18:33

Transfer. You will never build up that pension fund again.

chocolateygoo Mon 24-Jun-13 21:42:58

A company I used to work for is closing its pension scheme and has given me the option of either taking the money as a lump sum or transferring to another scheme.

If I take the lump sum (not much, <£7000), it says the first 25% is tax free and the rest is taxed on an emergency code and I have to negotiate any refund from the tax office. I think it would work out about £1K in tax, at 20% on 75% of the lump sum.

At the moment I'm self-employed and not earning very much and was expecting to be well below the personal allowance tax threshold this year. Therefore even if I take the lump sum, I might be able to reclaim most of the tax back. Is that right?

Anyway - I'm not sure what to do. The lump sum is very tempting, but I don't have any other pension savings at the moment (am in my 30s). Mumsnet please help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now