Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity benefits when unemployed?

(4 Posts)
koutaliaphobe Mon 24-Jun-13 20:14:42

How do I find out what benefits I will be entitled to? I was in full-time education, but will have to take a year out due to pregnancy/baby - this means I will no longer receive any of the Student Loan. Can anyone help me work out what I can get, and when in the pregnancy I can get it? And what I can get before then?
TIA

JaquelineHyde England Mon 24-Jun-13 20:23:55

Hi

I would go and speak to a benefits advisor straight away.

I am currently on maternity leave from my 2 year Masters course and I don't get any help from the NHS bursary people as I am intermitting for the year (January to January) and yet I am not entitled to any benefits as I am still classed as a full time student.

It really is hand to mouth here at the moment, not sure how we will make it through to January.

koutaliaphobe Mon 24-Jun-13 20:37:24

Thank you smile
I was worried that might be the case, I'm intermitting to so guess I will be counted as a student. How do I find a benefits advisor?

JaquelineHyde England Mon 24-Jun-13 21:47:49

You will have to go into the hell that is the local job centre and make an appointment to see an advisor.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now