Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you still get child tax credits without JSA?

(12 Posts)
Glynis50 Tue 25-Jun-13 17:38:19

This was happening to a friend of mine and this is what she did. She thought about what she could do as self employed and decided to do ironing, it took her a long time to get it right as she wasn't very good at it, however she added up the hours and although she wasn't earning much as it took her a long time, she still got wtc, its a thought for you anyway, but don't sign on sick as you will be in front of a board as quick as lightening and passed fit for work. Hope you think of somthing to do s/employed. Gd luck.

floatyjosmum Tue 25-Jun-13 10:24:58

Although they are separate and you would still get tax credits im assuming he claims for you as well? that would mean that neither of you would be getting paid as someone needs to be making the claim.

NicknameIncomplete Mon 24-Jun-13 13:47:27

Tax credits and jsa are separate. Tax credits go on income. I would say that u would still get child tax credits. Do u rent as councils award housing benefit on income aswell.

Janek Thu 20-Jun-13 21:16:08

You can get child tax credits without claiming JSA. we do. Dp does work, so i don't know if that makes a difference, but he doesn't work enough for us to get working tax credit, only ctc.

Afaik it is based solely on our income. Or lack of...

Babyroobs Thu 20-Jun-13 20:53:26

If he is suffering with his mental health he could perhaps get seen by his GP and claim ESA instead.

RedHelenB Thu 20-Jun-13 19:23:31

You would be £71 a week down money wise (his JSA) but I suppose the plus side would be he can look solely for work he can get to & is qualified to do. He will lose out oin future state pension though as he will not be credited with NI contributions. Oh & the budgeting loan would still have to be paid back!

Therenfin Thu 20-Jun-13 19:20:25

I'm not at work, I'm a stay at home mum and 18 weeks pregnant, him being laid off couldn't have come at a worse time really. It's the first time in his life he hasn't worked and I don't think he's dealing with it well, feels kinda useless and unable to provide.

noisytoys Thu 20-Jun-13 19:07:54

No idea but I know it is soul destroying I hope your situation improves soon. It took me 300+ applications to find my little cleaning job it's a grim job market sad

RedHelenB Thu 20-Jun-13 19:07:29

You can get the child element of tax credits as long as your income is under £16,000 I think it is no matter what benefits you do or don't claim. Also you can still get free school meals etc as long as you are not getting any working tax credits.

Babyroobs Thu 20-Jun-13 19:03:04

Do you work , if not would it be better for you to sign onto JSA instead of him if it is getting him down. I think whichever one of you stands more chance of getting work should sign on. I'm really not sure whether you can get tax credits without proving at least one of you is looking for work.

Rockchick1984 Thu 20-Jun-13 18:25:37

What is your income, as that will determine what help you will get?

Therenfin Thu 20-Jun-13 13:41:30

My husband is being threatened with sanction from JSA, he has been trying so hard to find work and they are trying to get him to do all sorts it seems to push him to just give up and sign off.

He has been on pointless courses, voluntary work, the lot, they have him applying for jobs he has no experience, qualifications for and has no hope of getting, or they want him to work so far away it wouldn't even be cost effective getting there and back every day as we have no car and some of these places they even say own transport is needed due to remote location.

Anyway, he is getting really depressed and it feels like he is giving up on life. I have reached a point where I feel like he has to sign off JSA for his mental health. I know it would be harder with the kids without the bit of money but they already pay us less because we had to take out a budgeting loan when we moved house a few months back.

So my question, would we still get child tax credit without claiming anything? I know I should still get child benefit but am not sure about the tax credit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now