Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Am i due Redundancy?

(11 Posts)
lottietiger Tue 18-Jun-13 12:51:19

I have just returned from maternity leave and while i was off the office i worked out of closed down. They are now asking me to work from an office 75 miles away from my home, the original office was 33 miles. Does anyone know if i am due redundancy as they looked suprised when i mentioned it sad

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Jun-13 13:15:34

I would suggest you be better to get this reported in employment. From what little I know what does your contract say about your work location as whether they can just get you to move or not will depend on this.

Suttyshotty Tue 18-Jun-13 13:21:37

If you have worked there for more than 2 years, probably.

lottietiger Tue 18-Jun-13 13:39:55

mmm my contract states my previous office as my base, which is a good thing i think. I have been there nearly 3 years so on that basis i am ok.. i guess i will need to contact a solicitor for advice.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Jun-13 16:48:38

I really would post in employment I suspect the lovely HR ladies there will be able to give advice on how to start any process yourself without the cost of a solicitor.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Jun-13 16:48:39

I really would post in employment I suspect the lovely HR ladies there will be able to give advice on how to start any process yourself without the cost of a solicitor.

howdoIdealwiththisone Tue 18-Jun-13 18:55:25

I'm an employment lawyer. How long have you worked for the company?

howdoIdealwiththisone Tue 18-Jun-13 18:56:55

Oops sorry, yes if you've been there three years you are entitled to redundancy (2 year qualifying period). If your office has closed and moved 75 miles away you will be redundant unless your contract has a mobility clause which enables your company to move you around.

lottietiger Tue 18-Jun-13 20:33:40

I have been there a total of 2 years 7 months, 20 weeks on maternity leave. Sounds like I need to review my contract to check if there is a mobility clause somewhere, it states the office base on the front sheet but there could be something elsewhere. Thanks for letting me know about that.

howdoIdealwiththisone Tue 18-Jun-13 22:16:30

If your role is senior or if you have a role involving lots of travel I would expect there to be a mobility clause so do chek that.

howdoIdealwiththisone Tue 18-Jun-13 22:16:58

Check (sorry iPhone!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now