Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much spending money to people save / take for family holiday ?

(9 Posts)
fakeblondie Tue 18-Jun-13 00:15:08

just wondering out of interest how much other people who aren't hugely rich and have to save like moi ! take to spend on holiday.
We just paid 1650 for a beautiful chalet in South of France for 11 nights .
Im allowing 500 for fuel and 100 x 2 for overnight stop driving.
How much would be a nice amount to spoil kids eat out sometimes maybe have few trips out ect ?

I think it normally works out around the £100 per day mark for us, not including fuel or tolls.

But there's 6 of us, so if thete's fewer of you, then scale it down?

NatashaBee Tue 18-Jun-13 01:27:44

I usually allow 100 a day (4 of us)

myron Tue 18-Jun-13 20:07:06

I went to France at Whitsun and I do think that you need a minimum of £100 per day (family of 4) to cover sightseeing/activities/car parking charges, a modest lunch, drinks & ice creams & food to self cater the evening meal.

mamageekchic Tue 18-Jun-13 20:10:29

I normally budget £100 a day for a family of 3.

Hulababy Tue 18-Jun-13 20:15:24

£100 a day for family of 3.
Rest on card

MsVestibule Fri 21-Jun-13 23:24:58

For a family of 2 adults and 2 young DCs, it costs us roughly $30 for a very modest lunch/ice creams, and at least $50 for dinner. Plus trips out, entrance to parks etc. As others have said, I would consider taking $100ish per day, plus credit/debit cards. Although if you're planning on eating in most of the time, quite a bit less.

Much less here
Not sure about fuel, bung that on credit card.

We eat in as dd is milk intolerant. I spend about €130 a week at supermarket and then about €30 a day on snacks crisps drinks popcorn cafe stuff.

Coconutty Costa Rica Fri 21-Jun-13 23:28:36

Between 100-150 per day plus empty credit card for emergencies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now