Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

History of MH issues and self-harming & wanting life insurance

(7 Posts)
thesea Sun 26-May-13 13:31:45

Hi all

I have quite a long history of depression and self-harming (although have only SH'ed once in three years). When trying to get life insurance recently, I was asked about my MH, which I answered honestly. I was then asked if I had ever self-harmed and, if so, how many times? The thing is, I used to self-harm a lot - I'd say several times per day for about five years - and I have over a thousand scars (luckily it doesn't look so bad now). How on earth am I supposed to get life insurance with sort of history? And will the premiums be sky high? I'm currently studying and volunteering full-time (I'm struggling to find paid work) so I can't afford a high premium. However, I don't see how I can not afford to get life insurance as my worst fear is that my son would be left with nothing if something awful happened to me.

HeavenlyYoni Sun 26-May-13 13:49:57

Sorry to hear about your MH situation. I have no advice to offer unfortunately, but am watching this as I have a dd in a similar situation. I didn't realise questions of this sort would be asked when applying for insurance.

El26 Sun 26-May-13 19:55:58

Have you tried the mental health thread? There may be people with similar experience/need for life insurance there.

Of course you should shop around for a good company - but, in any event, would your GP testify, if necessary, to the fact that you don't self-harm any more?

Good luck - you should applaud yourself for such a strong sense of responsibility.

Forgetfulmog Sun 26-May-13 20:06:16

Hi OP, I worked in the Life Insurance business for nearly 10 years & what I can say is this:

1. Shop around
2. Obviously be completely honest on the app form - non-disclosure is serious & will mean your insurance is void
3. You will either be asked to complete a MH questionnaire (over phone or on paper) or your Gp will be asked to complete one for you (you can ask to see this before your Gp sends it back to the insurer)
4. Unless you have tried to commit suicide, an insurer is vv unlikely to decline you. You may get charged a higher premium though. You are unlikely to get Critical Illness Cover or Waiver of Premium though.

Hth

tomatobloom Mon 27-May-13 00:57:41

I have a history of depression, suicide attempts and self-harm. I had to answer very detailed questions about my mental health when applying for life insurance, and I probably am paying a premium, but it's still reasonable. It's meant that I've avoided shopping around for a better insurer though, as I don't really want to have to go through the disclosure again. I had to agree to my GP submitting a report as well.

I have attempted suicide in the past and I was still offered insurance and critical illness cover. Suicide would not be covered on my policy though (but I think this would be the case even without my mental health history)

Good luck - I also decided to take out cover to protect my DS and I know it was the right thing to do. Don't forget to sort out a will at the same time so the payout can be written in trust for him.

Craigyt123 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:11:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lunchboxtroubles Thu 27-Oct-16 10:32:55

Good advice from forgetfulmog. You can be insured, just depends at what cost. If the premiums are too high you could self insure (put the premium money into a bank account for your kids if anything happens).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now