Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

N:Power Customer Service?

(11 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Fri 17-May-13 17:14:23

I had a horrendous time with them 6 or 7 years ago and have given them a swerve since, but the tariff checker tools I'm using are showing that the saving I could make if I switch to them is double that offered by everyone else. In real terms, this amounts to about £25 less a year, is it worth it? Or will I end up paying £25 in calls to their customer services team if I have problems with them/billing etc.?

syl1985 Fri 17-May-13 19:47:55

Do you know the Utility warehouse discount club?

link:
www.1bill.co.uk

I've got my:
electricity, gas, phone, mobile and internet from them.

I'm very happy with them and I'm now paying 30.- pound less a month.

And just I love their cash back card.

Sylvia

Thatsinteresting Fri 17-May-13 23:12:21

I was with NPower as the online checker said they would be £14 a month cheaper than my current supplier. I used actual figures so the comparison should have been accurate. We set up a direct debit so we wouldn't get any nasty surprises.We switched in January and by the time we left them in July we owed them approx £400. I felt lied to and spent many hours on the phone closing the account. For the sake of your sanity go with someone else.

nocake Fri 17-May-13 23:15:19

Npower are currently the subject of a campaign to expose their dodging of corporation tax. I have just switched away from them for that reason. Have a look on the 38 Degrees website for more information.

lunar1 Fri 17-May-13 23:16:01

I wouldn't go back to them if it was free!

iklboo Fri 17-May-13 23:26:10

I would rather generate electricity by rubbing my nylon knickers together than go back to them.

I have had no issues with Npower and have stayed with them for another year as they were still the most competitive price in our area. I cant use some of the cheaper ones as they dont cover properties that are supplied by Independent Gas Transporters - it also pushes up our prices a bit and we pay extra each year.

Astley Sat 18-May-13 09:37:19

I hate them. We just left as they 'forgot' the send us a letter warning us that our no standing charge tariff was stopping and there would be yet another price rise angry

Having a huge problem with them. They randomly took an extra direct debit and can't explain why they did it. Still waiting for an explanation after 3 weeks and loads of calls.

bubblesinthesky Sat 18-May-13 16:56:05

I detest them.

I left them in February and thought I'd soon be rid of them but no they are still round my neck.

I had dual fuel with them. On Feb 28th I received a bill which had a huge credit on it (about £400). However that turned out to be only for electricity and included all the payments I'd made for gas as well as electric.

I phoned a couple of times in March and April to find out where my gas bill was and they couldn't tell me. I phoned them a few days ago to be informed that they didn't agree with my closing reading so were agreeing a new one with my new suppliers hmm At no point until now in the last 3 months have they told me that they don't agree with me oh no that would be too much effort. Apparently I am trying to rip them off as the readings don't correspond with the history.

I explained this is not surprising at THEY installed a new meter some months ago and hadn't read it since. This is not good enough apparently I need not give them the meter reading for the OLD meter (the one they disconnected and took away in their van confused )

Today I find that the new supplier has agreed an estimated meter reading with them and won't let me submit my reading because its lower than the estimated reading they have been given by Npower. Now I will have to phone new suppleirs on Monday to resolve the matter

It seems Npower have NO customer services. I would rather sit in the dark and cold in a cave than use them again.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 18-May-13 18:24:46

OK thanks everyone, seems like they haven't improved and I've read the newspaper coverage today about their alleged tax dodging, so I'll go with the next best tariff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now