Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If Ocado dropped a glass bottle of oil on your kitchen floor...

(127 Posts)
JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:37:46

.. what would you expect by way of apology or compensation?

Mr Ocado accidentally (poor chap, not his fault..) dropped a large glass bottle of oil all over my tiled kitchen floor.

It took an initial 30+ mins to pick up the glass, soak up the worst of the mess with 6 bathroom towels, then mop it all with liquid floor cleaner. A couple of sweeps to check for remaining glass. Then all the towels had to be cleaned in the machine of course as they were dripping in oil. A week later, and another mop from our brilliant cleaner, you can still see a very fine film of oil in parts.

Well anyway, Ocado have offered me £7. Does that seem reasonable...?

FayeKorgasm Tue 21-May-13 17:49:36

Seriously OP. get a grip.

Ocado delivered a birthday cake to me the other day. It hadnt been packed well and was slightly damaged. The driver pointed this out to me, but with some well placed candles and a bit of fiddling it was fine. I didn't ask for a refund. It is life!

NJE makes me think of my daddy who once told me that the little signs in antique shops were a load of nonsense - you know the ones that say "Lovely to look at, delightful to hold, but if you break me consider me sold." When I was small I used to turn them over or tuck them in, I was so offended by antique shop owners bullying the general public into paying for accidental breakages blush.

NJE Mon 20-May-13 22:00:32

Accidents happen. I once dropped a super expensive coffee brewer in a store and I didn't have to pay for it.

yousankmybattleship Fri 17-May-13 20:14:52

Maybe you should swich to lard. Can't spill that.

OrlaKiely Fri 17-May-13 19:48:21

blush I don't cook much!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 17-May-13 19:33:12

I'd expect a sorry, a hand cleaning it up and a replacement bottle of oil

Filippo Berio also do a tin.

bruffin Fri 17-May-13 19:27:38

Ocado Smart pass is £6.99 a month and it was free for the first 6 months

susiedaisy Fri 17-May-13 19:24:39

I think free shopping for life sounds fair!grin

JenaiMorris Fri 17-May-13 19:22:44

Old stock, Orla <shakes head>

OrlaKiely Fri 17-May-13 19:17:30

I'm using Filippo Berio right now and it's in a big glass bottle.

JenaiMorris Fri 17-May-13 19:16:24

Gawd some of you lot are saps. Going back to my previous post, if the waiter had accidentally dribbled jus on your dry clean jacket in a naice restaurant, what would you expect the response to be?

£1 to cover the cost of the lost sauce and another £1 towards the dry cleaning because you'd have had to have got your jacket cleaned at some point anyway?

Tolliver Waitrose do free delivery if you spend a minimum of £50. But less than £2 a week for unlimited deliveries from Ocado seems like a good deal, yes.

amigababy Fri 17-May-13 18:50:56

when M&S "forgot " my pre ordered birthday party food, they hastily made up the order with whatever they could find in store. It wasn't actually so far away from what I ordered, they gave me it for free, value about £100,and a free bottle of champagne

smile

that's really good customer service.

Scruffey Fri 17-May-13 18:12:41

I think you should have been given a replacement bottle of oil and a £20 voucher. I think it was quite a big inconvenience to clear that up as it was oily.

MirandaWest Fri 17-May-13 18:05:50

Was £7 the cost of the oil? I agree you should have been refunded that.

Ocado also price-match against Tesco and send you a voucher if they aren't cheaper. And they actually deliver all of my food, almost always with no substitutions, which hasn't been my experience with the competition (I entirely accept that this varies by area).

yousankmybattleship Fri 17-May-13 17:58:07

£7 seems entirely reasonable to me. And you've now learned how to clean up and oily spill. Win win I'd say.

LittleBearPad Fri 17-May-13 17:43:04

A tenner would be ample. Accidents happen and nothing's permanently ruined.

LEMisdisappointed Fri 17-May-13 17:41:33

iceland do grin although if you factor in that most supermarkets are significantly cheaper than ocado then it would cancel it out. I see it would be cheaper but its a bit cynical as it garuntees that you shop with thiem in order to receive your monies worth.

LEM, you can opt to pay £11 a month flat rate and then there are no further delivery charges however many orders you make. If you're having a delivery weekly it works out significantly cheaper than paying per delivery.

I don't think any of the supermarkets offer free delivery, do they?

Four pints of milk leaked all over my ocado shop and soaked into my chicken under the plastic.

I spent 15 mins ages cleaning up and got refunded my soggy smoothies and chicken and I got a £5 voucher. Which I completely failed to realise had a use by date so never got the chance to cash in.

Not sure if my fascinating ocado story helps you OP. might remind you to use your voucher at least.

LEMisdisappointed Fri 17-May-13 17:00:00

You have to pay £100 a year??? WTF???

Oh and it was an accident, get over yourself!

Owl, I started buying fillipo after I had dropped a glass bottle on the floor, but then left if too near the hob and the bloody thing melted shock angry grin back to the glass.

Op have you contacted Ocado? I had to contact them once and they were really good and sorted the problem straight away, and some vouchers if I remember rightly.

notso Fri 17-May-13 16:58:57

Yes shatners why the towels and I would also like to know why you waited a week for your cleaner to mop it again after the initial clean up.

BTW sugar soap is good for removing oil if your floor can take it.

OrlaKiely Fri 17-May-13 16:58:56

I think a tenner would have covered it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now