Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If Ocado dropped a glass bottle of oil on your kitchen floor...

(127 Posts)
JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:37:46

.. what would you expect by way of apology or compensation?

Mr Ocado accidentally (poor chap, not his fault..) dropped a large glass bottle of oil all over my tiled kitchen floor.

It took an initial 30+ mins to pick up the glass, soak up the worst of the mess with 6 bathroom towels, then mop it all with liquid floor cleaner. A couple of sweeps to check for remaining glass. Then all the towels had to be cleaned in the machine of course as they were dripping in oil. A week later, and another mop from our brilliant cleaner, you can still see a very fine film of oil in parts.

Well anyway, Ocado have offered me £7. Does that seem reasonable...?

If my husband/children/family made a huge mess I would expect them to clear it up. Ocado didn't clear their mess up so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to pay their customer for the bother of doing it themselves.

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 17-May-13 14:29:18

Let's hold Grabby Hands together schobe grin.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 14:29:38

I think it's a bit grabby to want compensation for an accident that didn't cause any real harm. All the what-ifs aren't pertinent in helping the OP decide if their offer of £7 is fair.

I have to ask OP - why did you use six bath towels to mop up a litre or so of oil? Wouldn't something like a couple of kitchen rolls, J-cloths, dishcloths have been cheaper, more sensible and easier to deal with?

My DD spilt paint on the sofa. It now has a throw on it. Should I bill her? She didn't offer compensation, other than I'm sorry but she did help with the clean up.

MousyMouse Fri 17-May-13 14:32:21

shatner clearly has never mopped up more than a couple of drops of oil.
I have, and it is a pain in the ass. and no, a bit of kitchen roll doesn't do!

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 17-May-13 14:33:27

How is that the same? Did you PAY your daughter to provide a particular service that you expected to go smoothly and to ease your life?

schobe Fri 17-May-13 14:33:29

<holds hands> kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

oh lo-ord, show me the money

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 17-May-13 14:35:08

grin

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 17-May-13 14:36:59

A large company like Ocado can easily handle the cost of replacing oil, etc. It's all about their image. They compensate you so you continue to shop there, as they will make more money that way. I don't understand why it's such a big deal? If I dropped a botle of wine in Tesco vs. a private wine store I would be willing to pay for the bottle of wine I dropped in the private place, but not Tesco. That's just my opinion though.

Steffanoid Fri 17-May-13 14:37:17

as it's been mentioned before this is why they as a favour will take stuff into your kitchen it's then being polite, it's their usual policy to take things to your door and thats it, it could quite have easily been you to make the same mistake OP, as pp have mentioned it can be cleaned off your floor, there's no damage and it was an accident. I would only expect for the bottle to be replaced or me not be billed for it, these things happen, we are after all only human.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 14:37:38

"shatner clearly has never mopped up more than a couple of drops of oil.
I have, and it is a pain in the ass. and no, a bit of kitchen roll doesn't do!"

I said a couple of kitchen rolls, so 100+ sheets. I have mopped up about half a litre of oil using kitchen paper. I dropped an open plastic bottle of oil and about half of it chugged out. The residue came away easily with soda crystals and a mop. I wouldn't have thrown three bath towels at it.

zzzzz Fri 17-May-13 14:41:13

I too am shock and a bit hmm at using 6 bath towel to mop up a bottle of oil. It's the sort of thing a 13 year old boy would do.

Maybe it was a 30 L "bottle", and op run a fry up from her kitchen?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 14:46:38

Yes, I suppose it could have been oil on a catering scale, but op would have mentioned if it had been an unusually large volume of oil. Still, I'd throw a dozen kitchen rolls and crappy kitchen cloths at it before I threw my lovely, fluffy Primark bath towels at an oil slick.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 17-May-13 14:48:06

(Tangent) Anyone remember kitchen carpet tiles? Popular in the 80s/90s I believe. We had them in a delightful shade of avocado green. They were rank in every way.

Op, it was an accident, I think you should wash your floor and move on.

notso Fri 17-May-13 14:48:55

OP have you never heard of Plenty, I believe it's the stronger soaker up-er.

Oil is a PITA to clean up but buy the sound of your post you are expecting compensation to cover the cost of your time, the use of the washing machine and goodness knows what else.

I would have imagined Ocado might have given a little something extra as I thought they would have had good customer service but I wouldn't believe I was entitled to anything other than a replacement bottle of oil.

zzzzz Fri 17-May-13 14:50:43

I would kill anyone who used my towels to mop up oil from a floor.

The whole greasey thing is disgusting, but so is the kitchen floor. Minging.

JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 14:50:58

Sorry - isnt this forum supposed to be civil? Im talking about a corporation - not an individual.

Alwayscheerful Fri 17-May-13 14:52:26

I have a deep fat fryer, I had just filled it with new oil, I rarely use it so decided to store it in the garage, it slipped from my fingers. It tools me weeks to clean up, it was a nightmare but an accident.

I would accept the £7 it was an accident.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 17-May-13 14:53:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KansasCityOctopus Fri 17-May-13 14:54:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBungle Fri 17-May-13 14:56:08

I'd expect to be refunded the cost of the oil. It must have been the biggest ever bottle of oil to need 6 bath towels to mop it up!

Our ocado man has never brought the stuff into the house, I take it at the door.

I'm interested to know, op, what compensation would suit you?

maillotjaune Fri 17-May-13 15:03:45

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a voucher, but it was an accident and I am more surprised at the number if towels. I'd have used kitchen roll and asked them to replace that and the oil for free.

I haven't asked for compensation for all the wet, muddy footprints they have left over the years. They apologise at least which is more than the DSs dosmile

georgedawes Fri 17-May-13 15:13:03

Everyone is being civil, you just don't like what they're saying!

WipsGlitter Fri 17-May-13 15:14:52

happydies that generally work on greasy floors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now