Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If Ocado dropped a glass bottle of oil on your kitchen floor...

(127 Posts)
JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:37:46

.. what would you expect by way of apology or compensation?

Mr Ocado accidentally (poor chap, not his fault..) dropped a large glass bottle of oil all over my tiled kitchen floor.

It took an initial 30+ mins to pick up the glass, soak up the worst of the mess with 6 bathroom towels, then mop it all with liquid floor cleaner. A couple of sweeps to check for remaining glass. Then all the towels had to be cleaned in the machine of course as they were dripping in oil. A week later, and another mop from our brilliant cleaner, you can still see a very fine film of oil in parts.

Well anyway, Ocado have offered me £7. Does that seem reasonable...?

OP I know you didn't post in AIBU but.... YABU! I wouldn't have expected anything and would have been pleased and a bit embarrassed about the £7 to be honest.

Use Pampers vipes, or huggies, that should deal with the grease.

LegoAcupuncture Fri 17-May-13 13:55:41

Really? What would you like from them exactly?

plantsitter Fri 17-May-13 13:56:22

I think it would be better customer relations to send flowers and a new bottle of oil. But I would expect them to spend about a tenner on it.

ClaraDeLaNoche Fri 17-May-13 13:56:38

It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. You are entitled to be put in the position you would have been in had they not dropped the bottle. It's only on MN you get this "I hate compensation culture" about absolutely everything. I would say to them that you're disappointed given the time spent on cleaning up and hope for a wee £10 voucher on top. You might not get it though but you can always ask.

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 13:56:56

They give me a bottle of wine on my anniversary of first shopping with them grin .......

RedPencils Fri 17-May-13 13:57:34

They bring the shopping into your house?

Tesco man once dropped a case of beer on the step. One bottle smashed the rest were OK. He let me have the rest for free. I thought I was quids in.

£7 and an apology seems adequate.

Mintyy Fri 17-May-13 13:58:02

Hmm. I feel for you! did the driver help with the clean up?

I don't think money could really compensate.

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 13:58:35

I think people like you will be the reason that delivery men will stop entering the house to put goods in the kitchen and that will be a great shame to those who are elderly, infirm or disabled that need that service.

I always let them leave it at the door

SirChenjin Fri 17-May-13 14:00:46

One million dollars

<joke - nothing of course, it was an accident, not an on purpose>

HousewifeFromHeaven Fri 17-May-13 14:05:26

What more horrors will we be subjected to now that Ocado are in cahoots with <and I can barely bring myself to type the word> Morrisons I don't think I can stand it.

PeterParkerSays Fri 17-May-13 14:05:56

I'd be more worried that the driver might have been injured by the broken glass.

If your brilliant cleaner can't get oil off your kitchen floor, use boiling hot water with washing up liquid in, and have a go yourself.

Were you planning on billing Ocado for your cleaner's time as well?

schobe Fri 17-May-13 14:13:06

I don't get the slagging OP is receiving here. When you buy goods or services from a company you don't expect to be left out of pocket or having to work for x number of hours doing a clean up. I don't think she means compensation for being upset or distressed, just something to redress the balance given the inconvenience and expense incurred for her. I would not fancy cleaning up a large amount of oil.

Yes, accidents happen, but this is why businesses have to take out insurance when they start up. Nobody is asking for the delivery person to be sacked or given a hard time and neither should they be. If their bosses do this, then this is their mishandling of staff not the customer's fault.

It's people who will just meekly swallow anything from companies they are using that contribute to a piss poor customer service culture in this country.

I'm not supporting ridiculous claims for compensation or threats to sue at every opportunity. But there is a middle ground that is to do with providing good customer service.

schobe Fri 17-May-13 14:14:07

And £7 doesn't sound enough to me in terms of time and inconvenience.

What would people say if it had been spilt on carpet?

OrWellyAnn Fri 17-May-13 14:17:07

Agree with first poster.

Also 'What would people say if it had been spilt on carpet?' to this i would say 'wtf have you got carpet in your kitchen?' surely you'd have to be crazy??

schobe Fri 17-May-13 14:17:56

LOL at carpet in kitchen. No but what if it was in the hallway or summat.

ShadeofViolet Fri 17-May-13 14:18:53

You should have asked this question on the MSE forum. You would have got much better responses as its full of the kind of grabby people you seem to be OP.

PeterParkerSays Fri 17-May-13 14:20:19

Schobe, then it would have been a different discussion. Likewise if the bottle had cracked tiles when it was dropped, but it didn't.

Something's dropped and breaks and spills, so you clean it up. End of, certainly for me, if no other factors, damage etc come into play.

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 14:21:48

but it wasn't....

If it had of been, I would expect that the company's response would have been different, as professional cleaning would have been required.

We are talking about mopping up a kitchen floor. Just like we all have to do when we spill things in the normal course of our daily lives.

If the clean-up needed some professional assistance in some way, if the customer had some physical impediment for example, then that would have been billed for.

ClaraDeLaNoche Fri 17-May-13 14:21:59

We had a carpet in our kitchen in our student flat, it was putrid.

You're not grabby OP. Don't listen to the blah blah.

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 17-May-13 14:23:45

I agree with schobe. The OP contributed to Waitrose's vast profits when she shopped there, it's not like they delivered out of the goodness of their heart. I am failing to feel much in the way of sympathy for them having to compensate the OP for having to clean up large quantities of glass and oil, which in anyone's book is a balls ache of a job.

MrsSpagBol Fri 17-May-13 14:24:44

Have your husband / children / other family members / friends every spilt anything on your kitchen floor? Did you bill them?!

hmm

MrsSpagBol Fri 17-May-13 14:24:55

*ever spilt

schobe Fri 17-May-13 14:26:31

I'd deffo expect a bigger voucher than £7.

<Looks in mirror, sees grabby person>

For the love of god what have I become??? Is that really so odd?

ClaraDeLaNoche Fri 17-May-13 14:27:08

Waitrose is not friends with the OP? And presumably she doesn't make a contract with her friends to carry out tasks for her and expect remuneration for fulfilling these tasks without a balls up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now