Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If Ocado dropped a glass bottle of oil on your kitchen floor...

(127 Posts)
JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:37:46

.. what would you expect by way of apology or compensation?

Mr Ocado accidentally (poor chap, not his fault..) dropped a large glass bottle of oil all over my tiled kitchen floor.

It took an initial 30+ mins to pick up the glass, soak up the worst of the mess with 6 bathroom towels, then mop it all with liquid floor cleaner. A couple of sweeps to check for remaining glass. Then all the towels had to be cleaned in the machine of course as they were dripping in oil. A week later, and another mop from our brilliant cleaner, you can still see a very fine film of oil in parts.

Well anyway, Ocado have offered me £7. Does that seem reasonable...?

Fgs it was an accident

You demonstrate perfectly one of this biggest problems our society faces

Why do we always have to blame someone and expect compensation ?

Accidents happen. It could just have easily have been you that dropped it -- had you done your own shopping--

happyAvocado Fri 17-May-13 13:40:14

OT - ask your cleaner to use boiling hot water + washing up powder/liquid in a bucket (a tbsp will do) - film will disappear

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 13:40:26

Did they offer or did you press them for it? I would think the cost of the oil and a bottle of wine (or the equivalent) .....especially if it was an accident and not the driver just lumping stuff about.

What Korma said.

Oh and an additional hmm

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:42:13

The driver was rushing and had picked up too many bags. It wasnt a simple case of the bag breaking, or anything like that. Ocado charge around £100 to deliver the food - I think its reasonable to expect that they will do it without causing a mess?

Same as them ^^ plus a hmm !

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 13:42:48

I agree with Korma as well, I wouldn't demand compensation - but would have thought that would offer anyway as it was a glass bottle etc?

That's a steep delivery charge!

It
Was
An
Accident

They also don't charge £10 pounds to deliver

Are they delivering by private plane ?

£100

£100 to deliver? Bloody hell.

A replacement bottle of oil and an apology (at the time) is what I would expect. No more.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 17-May-13 13:44:59

£100 to deliver the food? Where do you live?!

fubbsy Fri 17-May-13 13:45:00

Ocado charge around £100 to deliver the food ? hmm Really?

MousyMouse Fri 17-May-13 13:45:32

I would expect compensation from the company towards the cleaning costs.
a cleaner would be about 10£ per hour. so that + refund for the damaged article.
this is what their insurance is for

This is why so many companies don't advise the drivers to go past the doorstep.

JivinMissDaisy Fri 17-May-13 13:47:45

Sorry, yes I meant £100 - but for the year! Not each delivery...

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 13:48:51

Well bearing in mind you could have a delivery per day for that (I have a pass too) it's a pretty good rate imo!

MonstersDontCry Fri 17-May-13 13:50:37

Fgs. Accept the £7 and be grateful. hmm

Nagoo Fri 17-May-13 13:51:04

I dropped a bottle of wine in Tesco. They let me have another one. They didn't try to extract the cost of clean-up out of me.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 17-May-13 13:53:21

How much would you give a supermarket if you dropped a bottle of oil in the aisle? That's how much you should expect from Ocado.

jazzandh Fri 17-May-13 13:53:53

I also think for a company that has very good customer service (again imo) and never quibbles over refunds etc.....it can be swings and roundabouts.

If they were the sort of shop/delivery service that were late, had rubbish substitutions had poor customer relations - the that may influence how I treated them with a complaint!

fluffymindy Fri 17-May-13 13:53:59

It was an accident, have you not a lot to think about because you are really over-egging this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now