Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I ever get a mortgage?

(5 Posts)
RedHelenB Mon 13-May-13 13:52:30

Well first thing is to pay the debts off so they show as satisfied.

NJE Mon 13-May-13 11:31:37

Thank you very much for your replies. I won't need a mortgage for another few years, but I am just already planning on trying to get the best possible credit rating and then I found this. A County Court judgement is surely worse than a missed payment?

I am so angry with myself, I really am. The letters all must have gone to my old address and of course the lady I lived with didn't forward them to me despite knowing my address etc.

Sashabops Mon 13-May-13 09:49:42

Hi, we had exactly the same problem when we bought our house 6 months ago. no-one would give us a mortgage because of one missed bill payment for British Gas and we ended up going with an independent mortgage advisor who was fantastic! he basically googled all the lenders and found out who they used for the credit check services, turns out that British Gas only turned up on experian and not equifax, and that our building society only did their credit checks with equifax which meant the missed payment wouldn't show up. we felt like we were on a rollercoaster for about 6 months trying to sort out a mortgage, so stressful! defnitely go with an independent as they have access to the lowest rates and have come across these problems before. my partner also had to declare his bankruptcy from 8 years ago so it is possible to get a mortgage! Good luck with it hun, let us know how you get on xxx

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 13-May-13 09:42:38

You should probably talk to an independent mortgage broker because they can check all the products on the market fairly easily. There will probably be a mortgage company that is prepared to lend to you but they might want a larger deposit than others and the interest rate will be higher.

NJE Mon 13-May-13 09:18:49

Long story short: I moved abroad in 2011 and moved back to London in 2012. When I moved I didn't plan to return to the UK within a few years. I was in a difficult situation then and needed a change. Anyway I just looked at my credit file and it seemed that I missed to pay a bill for my mobile broadband then. It was 38GBP and resulted in a CCJ which I just saw now. I also forgot to pay my a month's fee on my Natwest account and the 25GBP turned into a huge amount of nearly 1k due solicitors fee etc. I am totally shocked and could kick myself for being so stupid about forgetting to pay the bills. Of course both turned into several defaults on my account and I just saw that I will never get rid of them.

Can anybody advise me? I am usually very good with paying bills etc. On the first of every month all my bills get paid, I pay my credit cards off every month etc. and now I worry that this could cost me ever getting a mortgage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now