Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need a credit card for holiday in USA - which one?

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 21-May-13 09:27:32

I use my FairFX Euro card everywhere around Europe. Of course you have to load it up with enough funds and you have to monitor it but the account is easily accessed online or via a smartphone and topping up is very simple. There is a flat charge to use ATMs I've found... about €1.50... but in shops and restaurants etc it just acts as a debit card. Unlike using a credit card abroad, when you load up you get a pretty good exchange rate (rather than the one applicable on the day which is usually rubbish) and there are no extra fees. Unlike a credit card you don't get charged interest on cash advances.

4yoniD Sun 19-May-13 15:45:49

I used Caxton credit card. Accepted everywhere except Wal Mart. It never worked in Walmart. Everywhere else....

You could top it up over the internet, or by phone. I think that would be instant, but don't quote me!

Euphemia Sun 19-May-13 15:43:56

What if I've not put enough money on it?

Euphemia Sun 19-May-13 15:43:22

So can you use the FairFX card in shops, restaurants and at ATMs?

noisytoys Sun 19-May-13 15:00:02

We went to Florida last year and used a FairFX card it was great. We set up a standing order to it over a year to save up for spending money

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 13-May-13 09:40:38

I'm about to take out a Fairfx card for dollars. I use their Euro one already, it's a Mastercard that I pre-load with currency at a fairly attractive rate, use like a debit card, and I've never had a problem with it being accepted.

Euphemia Sun 12-May-13 20:59:04

Title says it all really! smile

Which card would be best/easily accepted in USA?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now