Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How to set up your own business ideas required!!

(10 Posts)

Hi all I've always worked full time until dd2 was 12 months and had some developmental issues so I tolk redundancy to look after her at home. I was earning a reasonable wage (28k) until then. Fast forward two and half years and I need to go back to work as she's starting reception in September however I'd like to set up my own business but I haven't a clue what I'd like to do!!! I can drive and have a small car, I have a degree (environmental studies), I have worked with disabilities and the elderly, I. A tailors shop, in contract management and as a cleaner so could pretty much turn my hand to most things!

There are lots and lots of home ironing and cleaning companies where I love so didn't want to set up another one sad any ideas great.y appreciated!!!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-May-13 14:24:10

I just had my oven cleaned by a very cheerful, businesslike Eastern European woman who seemed to be doing a brisk trade locally! My chimney-sweep has put three kids through private school. Where there's muck there's brass... smile

rubyslippers Tue 07-May-13 14:27:18

de-clutterer?

sometimes I think i would love to do that myself

Chimney sweep?...... Hmmmmm... Just looking at my backside and wondering if its small enough to fit up a chimney lol. Chimney sweep be good idea actually as we have lots of olde worlde houses round here. Wonder how you train as a sweeper!
Yes h,m de clutterer and oven cleaner another good idea! Thanks ladies

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-May-13 15:24:00

No idea about training. He just turns up with the brushes, cloths to drape everywhere and a big vacuum-cleaner-looking thing. I think his biggest cost after equipment must be disposal of the soot. It was after he told me about the private schooling I got the calculator out and tried to work out based on current prices how many chimneys he'd have to sweep in a day to make that happen. smile

Bramshott Tue 07-May-13 15:31:18

There's a Guild of Master Sweeps Sounds very dickensian but it's printed on the certificate our chimney sweep gives us every time he comes.

You do know you don't have to go up the chimney these days don't you ;-)

Ooohh thanks guys that cold be a good plan as we don't have any n our area nearest registered sweep is some distance away.

Oh damn was looking forward to getting stuck up there like Santa does ;)

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-May-13 16:24:14

Sorry... I'm not hell-bent on you chim-chim-cheree-ing your way into business. smile Just pointing out that fairly humble-sounding jobs, grossed up, can be quite lucrative.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-May-13 16:40:07

Can you do health and safety assessments? One of my colleagues freinds has a degree in environmental something or other and does them for companies.

Her starting price is £800. Per day!

Or could you re-train at college to do gel nails? One thing I've noticed in the recession is that nail & tanning salons do a brisk trade.

Thanks fluffy yes my parents are healthy and safety assessors , I believe you can do environmental assessments I may look into that as well actually be nice to use my degree for someyhing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now