Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Choosing a Re-Mortgage Deal

(5 Posts)
Polyethyl Tue 07-May-13 12:44:39

Every two years I re-mortgage my flat with another 2 year fixed rate. Every time I agonise over whether I’m doing the right thing, whether it should be 2 years or 5 years fixed, which bank I should use, whether I should take the deal with the £900 set up fee and low interest rate or the deal with no set up fee and slightly higher interest rate. Should I or should I not seek the advice of a mortgage broker – or is it fine to do your own research?

This time I am trying to research mortgages whilst keeping a bored 3 month old baby entertained.

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that fretting over this is pointless – surely, whatever I choose – be it a 2 or 5 year fixed term or with or without set up fees – the banks will always ensure that they ultimately come out of the deal best. Perhaps instead of expending time and brainpower trying to work out which is the BEST deal – I should just accept that of the most plausible 3 mortgages I’ve looked at they would all be good enough – stop fretting about it and get back to entertaining the baby.

What do the rest of you do?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-May-13 12:59:08

I've nearly paid mine off now but used to do the same as you up until recently. I used a very good independent mortgage advisor who would do all the searching and comparing on my behalf and then present me with a few options that met my criteria... e.g. no fees, penalties for early redemption etc. Didn't cost me anything directly.

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 08-May-13 05:57:02

If you are remortgaging after the fix term, it is easy to calculate the cost of the mortgage (fee + interest) over the term. Then you can see which one is the better deal, isn't it?

tigerlilygrr Wed 08-May-13 08:25:27

London and country mortgage brokers do not charge a fee (they take it out in commission instead) - I would see if they can beat the ones you've researched already. The bank will probably always win, yes, but there are done assumptions you can make eg you pay slightly more for the security of a fix, and more again if it's a longer term fix.

leaderscorp Thu 09-May-13 05:32:14

Doing a research by yourself is a good thing. However, I would still recommend talking to one mortgage expert. There are lots of mortgage providers online for you to choose from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now