Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Leaving enough info behind with my will for those left behind - advice please...

(4 Posts)
tonyf Sun 05-May-13 15:02:38

I wanted advice on wills. I wanted to leave some documents behind with my will so those left behind could deal with things easily. I found these two on age-uk guide, which I thought may do the job - but I wondered if they would cover everything somebody would need to know?

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Global/Age-Cymru/Factsheets%20and%20information%20guides/AgeUKIG03_When_someone_dies.inf%20March%202013.pdf?dtrk=true

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS14_Dealing_with_an_estate_fsc.pdf?dtrk=tru

Also, I had a couple of other questions:

1) I know to register a death, you need id, but do you need id at any stage before that? At the hospital perhaps? Maybe it depends if they die at home?

-

2) With somebody who's self employed - Is it different than from a regular person dying in any way? Or are all the processes exactly the same? Posting an ad in the london gazette and a local paper, giving the creditors 8 weeks etc

Also I did wonder about national insurance contributions...

-

Not really had many people die on me, myself. Presumably other people on these boards have though - or are maybe lawyers. I just wanted to feel I'd left enough information that somebody would need.

I've got a separate document made up with my passwords... what I want to try do in this instance though here is just leave enough information about the practical steps...

specialsubject Sun 05-May-13 17:57:20

I was going to recommend the AgeUK thing but you are ahead of me!

there is a 'tell us once' service which means those notifying a death do just that and HMRC, council and other public bodies all get told.

keep an up to date list of your accounts and a note with the will saying where that is.

passwords are a tricky one - you don't want them falling into the wrong hands, and you will be changing them regularly (I hope). Really not sure what to do about those but strongly suggest not making a list.

tonyf Sun 05-May-13 18:02:02

thanks. so you think those 2 docs would cover it?

Selba Sun 05-May-13 18:12:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now