Got a q for Miriam Gonzalez Durantez? ×

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£100 per week better off apart and one less adult.

(84 Posts)
Offred Fri 03-May-13 17:11:49

My husband is a supposed high earner.

I have just checked how money would be if we split, I would have to claim benefits as young children and currently studying.

After he has paid tax our income for six is £100 less per WEEK than we would get if he left and I claimed benefits. Surely this isn't correct? This is without CSA payments and we wouldn't have the expense of feeding him and paying his bills...

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:13:50

Is CSA going to be taken into account for universal credit?

JakeBullet Fri 03-May-13 20:17:16

Wow! I am actually ON benefits and have nothing LIKE that amount coming in.....even factoring in disability benefits for my son, are you sure you have this correct? How many children have you got?

lougle Fri 03-May-13 20:19:59

Seems only the spousal elements of maintenance, not child maintenance.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 20:23:25

do you have 3 children? also, is this including HB and is your rent high?

ivykaty44 Fri 03-May-13 20:23:52

I have just used entitled to and put in

three children between 1-9 years

and a mortgage of 95k with a council tax band of c

the results are:
£167.16 child tax credit
£138.01 income support
The estimate includes an amount for interest payments on your mortgage and any other housing-related costs you have. You will only qualify for the element associated with housing costs after 13 weeks on benefit.
£19.25 council tax as you do not have to pay any council tax as you get £167.16 in child tax credit
£47.10 child benefit
£371.52 total

Plus

free school meals and free prescriptions

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 20:24:19

sorry. family of six so 4 children? in that case then including HB that sounds about right TBH.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:24:20

Four and in a fairly high rent area but up north.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:26:04

LHA is £595 per month.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 20:26:17

yep could easily see it then.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:26:14

but you are not saying what you mean by your "high earner" DH to allow us to compare - what you think is high earner is meaningless here until you tell us and it is already well known that average salary earners are sometimes not that much better off than people on benefits.

I think you are being inflammatory by not providing the exact details of the entire benefits system- what exactly is your point?

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:28:57

and the HB, IS, CB and TC benefits will come under the cap so I still think you are being disingenuous with your entire post

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:33:19

The point is that if you have a large family you lose out in the tax system and would be financially better off apart if you don't qualify for any tax credits etc.

They wouldn't come under the cap because they wouldn't be over the amount of the cap. hmm

ballstoit Fri 03-May-13 21:36:35

Are you looking at LHA for a 4 bed house? And if that figure makes you better off than your dhs income, then you should.be getting child tax credits as that means your DHs 'high wage' is only £20k.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:38:13

No, because we'd only be entitled to a 3 bed house.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:39:51

so in reality your high earning DH does not earn that much and so does overlap in the benefits system?

why not just come out with it?

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:40:14

Not sure how you've arrived at £20k. We're not entitled to any tax credits. We (he) pay a lot of tax.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:41:09

Why does it matter to you so much that I tell you my dh's earnings? His basic salary is more than double £20k.

ballstoit Fri 03-May-13 21:43:48

Tax is in bands, if he earns enough to be higher rate tax band, then his net pay will be more than £20k, which would be £100 a week less than your £500 a week benefits.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:43:55

so why not give us your breakdown as plenty of people are saying it does not add up.. why not show us how you derive your numbers rather than this drip feed..

IF he earns say £50K per year, as per your statement, please show us how the state would allow you to earn more than this on your own

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:45:45

I'm not drop feeding, I'm simply refusing to detail another person's exact salary on a public forum. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Ballstoit I don't know where you are getting your figures from.

Up thread I already said it may be an anomaly with his tax code (which has happened before).

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:48:12

so show me how I can earn your husbands ballpark salary of £50K then on benefits..

How can he earn more than £40k and take home £400 a week? No one pays that much tax.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 21:51:17

£50K a year salary is about £3K a month take home .. or about £700 / week before any deductions.. just in case you dont know

Offred Fri 03-May-13 21:51:57

Err... You know that someone doesn't actually take home all their pay don't you? They have to pay tax on that salary and as I said earlier that is dependent on having the correct tax code.

Why are you being so arsey?

ballstoit Fri 03-May-13 21:54:07

I'm getting my figures from you confused

You said that the £500 ish you'd get in benefits is £100 more than your dh earns a week. So, even my exhausted Friday evening brain can make that your DH supposedly brings home £400 a week.

If his salary is £40k, £10k ish is tax free (making £200 a week), and the other £30k is taxed at about 20%, so he'd keep £24k ish. So his net pay should be about £34k. Which is not £400 a week.

Tax code anomoly? more like bullshitty benefit bashing by stealth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now