Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DLA question

(7 Posts)

Someone I know was retired for medical reasons in their 50s due to back pain caused by their job they have been in receipt of higher mobility DLA ever since. This has been the case for years, the person is now 71 and I presumed that at some point the DLA would have to be looked at as what makes their back pain as a 71 year old any different from another 71 year old who doesn't claim, lets face it we all expect aches and pains as we get older, but apparently that isn't the case as the person will get this benefit for life, is this true , that the benefits system does this, particularly with all these austerity measures?

If they recieved an indefinite award when they applied, under current rules they will recieve this amount until they die. PIP reform will not affect them as it can only be claimed by working age adults.

If this person had not incurred the injury in their 50s, they would have been able to build their retirement income with pension contributions funded by their employment. The indefinite DLA award therefore acts as a leveller, so a disabled person is not financially disadvantaged by their health issues.

If your lucky the government will make a legaslitive change that will allow them to default on the promised award, and your disabled aquaintance will see her income cut in the way she obviously deserves, shirker that she is. hmm

If they recieved an indefinite award when they applied, under current rules they will recieve this amount until they die. PIP reform will not affect them as it can only be claimed by working age adults.

If this person had not incurred the injury in their 50s, they would have been able to build their retirement income with pension contributions funded by their employment. The indefinite DLA award therefore acts as a leveller, so a disabled person is not financially disadvantaged by their health issues.

If your lucky the government will make a legaslitive change that will allow them to default on the promised award, and your disabled aquaintance will see her income cut in the way she obviously deserves, shirker that she is. hmm

The sad thing is I know the person well enough to know that they are a shirker, they did do the amateur dramatics at assessment appointments and I also know that with the job they had and the wage they earned the DLA they receive far surpasses that, and that's why PIP exists I suppose

Fairyloo Thu 02-May-13 08:54:52

Why are you bothering yourself with someone else's DLA

It's nothing to do with you and how they look and what's actually going on night be totally different

Sorry less to do with the situation and more to do with the concept of a lifetime award I don't get why such a thing exists but the reason is for lost pension from retiring early which hadn't occurred to me. It's funny that although I can see evidence of the government being generous like that it hasn't stopped me from saving to get my outgoings down as much as possible for when my own dd's DLA is up for renewal in 2015 (she has Downs) I fully expect with all these austerity measures that well no longer get what we've had in the past, but really I'm probably being daft and overly cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now