Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

2nd residential mortgage - is it possible?

(4 Posts)
charlottenina Sun 28-Apr-13 11:19:10

we have 3 bedroom house on a residential mortgage. as we thinking about amicable separation - can we buy one more flat on a 2nd residential mortgage and I move in separately, to see how thing going between us.

wws Wed 01-May-13 09:26:08

We have two residential mortgages so def worth asking. However one is rented as we couldn't sell and we live in one. The bank will probably have concerns about what will happen if you spilt( hope you work it out thosmile can you afford one of them on your own?

Evolutionforwomen Wed 01-May-13 12:50:55

You usually have to have enough income to cover both mortgages. They have become tigher about this as people where using it as a way to get residential rates but they were renting it out which have higher rates. its called a pier de teir, 2nd family home, normally they want the 2nd property to be by the sea side or far away from home as that is usually why someone would buy a 2nd home. Its possible but not all the lenders will want the business. (qualifed mortgage broker - full disclosure on my website - www.evolutionforwomen.co.uk)

PatriciaHolm Wed 01-May-13 16:45:26

Evolution, I think you mean pied-à-terre. Normally used to refer to a small home that is not the primary residence, as you say. I like the concept of having a Pier as a second home, though grin

OP, you can have another residential mortgage, yes, but you will need to prove you can afford both, and the second can't be rented out on that mortgage. If you take in a lodger, that's normally fine, but you'd need to inform your insurer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now