Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Savings for baby - how much?

(8 Posts)
Anomaly Fri 26-Apr-13 10:51:47

I worked out our minimum costs per month and how much we'd be short due to maternity pay. For us around 5k got us through each time. I do get quite generous maternity pay though.

ivanapoo Fri 26-Apr-13 09:42:46

We saved 7k but haven't used any of it yet, 5 months in. But we bought 2nd hand or borrowed everything, we live quite frugally and I received about 3k extra maternity pay.

We worked out a v tight budget before ds arrived estimating our outgoings. By sticking to this budget which in addition to mortgage etc allows us to buy groceries, nappies, a few cups of tea out each week and save 200 a month for holidays, baby stuff and ad hoc bills, we won't need to use the 7k at all.

I breast feed and only buy nappies (in bulk) on great special offers.. There are lots of free mum and baby groups you can attend too.

elQuintoConyo Fri 19-Apr-13 21:59:48

Bugger all, quite frankly! We didn't go nuts on furniture/clothes/gizmos etc, but we have just cut back on our outgoings.

Mum2Fergus Fri 19-Apr-13 18:33:41

Whats your share of outgoings plus any personal expenses? Multiply over the 12 months and add some contingency.

TheDetective Fri 19-Apr-13 17:42:07

2.5k, which was the drop in my pay, plus a little extra.

Am on my last months pay now, and I still have £1400 of it, despite having christmas, cars breaking down, and various other disasters.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 19-Apr-13 17:40:10

Well, how long is a piece of string?!

It depends on your outgoings and what saving you already have. Do you know how much your outgoings are? You need that much, plus some contingency (maybe plus 20-40%?).

If you go back to work after maternity, will your wage cover outgoings and childcare? You might need to save for the too.

Is that any help?!

jazzcat28 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:33:18

Bump

jazzcat28 Fri 19-Apr-13 09:51:39

Did you have the chance to save before having your first DC? If so, how much did you save?

We are officially TTC and know we need to save to fund my maternity leave. I'm thinking if we had in the region of £7000 in savings by the time I gave birth we'd be ok.

What did you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now