Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice needed re loans for people with poor credit history

(5 Posts)
coribells Tue 16-Apr-13 11:18:23

I owe about £3 k on a credit card.

Rockchick1984 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:48:06

Contact an independent mortgage adviser and they can run through some options with you. The longer since a default was settled the more chance you have of being accepted - I'm presuming you don't have any outstanding debts now?

coribells Tue 16-Apr-13 10:45:33

I only have defaults , I think settled for a year or two. I'd be looking at 20-25k

Rockchick1984 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:35:00

A secured loan is basically a mortgage. How bad is your credit history eg CCJ's, defaults etc and how long have they been settled for? The fact that you own your house outright would help, as you would presumably only be borrowing a small percentage of the house value.

coribells Tue 16-Apr-13 10:02:05

Is it possible to get any kind of decent loan if you have a poor credit history.
I work part time in local government and earn about £15k ?.I own my property out right , no mortgage .Its worth about 200k. I am probably going to have to replace my car (I need it for work) and ideally would like to be able to do some maintenance on my flat, such as rewiring , painting and decorating . Can I borrow against the property, I've heard of secured loans, but not sure how they work or who to approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now