Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can my partner (not the dc's dad) buy childcare vouchers?

(10 Posts)
Amilliondifferentpeople Tue 16-Apr-13 18:15:05

Also makes sense - would stop your lodger doing a tax dodge. grin

Amilliondifferentpeople Tue 16-Apr-13 18:08:11

Ah ok. Again, thankyou. I'm normally pretty good at finding factual answers on google, but that's much clearer.

MrAnchovy Tue 16-Apr-13 13:11:16

Oops, essential detail missed out...

"Just wondered whether living with said children would count."

No, to claim vouchers for a child you must either:

1. be a parent of the child;
2. be a step-parent of the child (i.e. married to or in a civil partnership with a parent); or
3. have been formally given Parental Responsibility for the child, AND the child must be living with you.

MrAnchovy Tue 16-Apr-13 13:07:38

"Just wondered whether living with said children would count."

No, to claim vouchers for a child you must either:

1. be a parent of the child;
2. be a step-parent of the child (i.e. married to or in a civil partnership with a parent); or
3. have been formally given Parental Responsibility for the child.

Amilliondifferentpeople Tue 16-Apr-13 08:03:14

Thankyou. DP and I are not married yet, and he has no formal relationship with them.

Just wondered whether living with said children would count.

feelingfunny Tue 16-Apr-13 00:28:54

DH isn't my dc's dad but he buys childcare vouchers for them. It is fine as long as they are his stepchildren or if he has PR for them. We got sent this guidance about it.

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Apr-13 22:40:40

Someone else might know better, but I guess it makes sense that you can't claim them without a specific relationship to a child, otherwise I would have got all my friends and relations to get them, paid them back, and funded 100% of childcare tax free

Amilliondifferentpeople Mon 15-Apr-13 22:13:34

Ok thankyou

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Apr-13 21:13:01

Care 4 site says you have to be parent or legal guardian.

Amilliondifferentpeople Mon 15-Apr-13 21:07:55

Google isn't helping....

My 2 dc's and I live with him. I buy childcare vouchers and top up the rest. DP is a higher rate earner and is happy to buy vouchers but as the dc aren't his, I'm not sure if this is legal?

The dc's dad doesn't claim vouchers.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now