Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax on Car Allowance

(2 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 16-Apr-13 13:40:23

If the allowance is delivered as cash for you to buy/lease/insure/maintain your own car (which is what it sounds like) you'll be taxed as if you earn a total of £35,000 but you are potentially able to claim expenses from your company for business mileage. If the allowance is delivered in the form of an actual taxed, insured & fuelled car - say you had a monthly lease budget of £400 for example - then you'd be taxed on £30,000 income plus you'd be taxed for the value of the car/fuel available to you.

Lorelilee Mon 15-Apr-13 18:30:37

I'm looking for a wee bit help re a potential new job. I have been offered a salary of £30K, plus a £5K car allowance. Can someone please advise what my take home pay will be - i.e. do I get taxed more on the allowance?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now