Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I find a savings account that was taken out for me in Germany 41 years ago?

(3 Posts)
M6Toll Fri 12-Apr-13 17:04:18

I believe that it was in my name, no idea who it was with.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 12-Apr-13 13:01:26

When you say taken out 'for me', if it was in your Grandfather's name but only notionally meant for you then, if it wasn't signed over to you age 16 or 18, it would have probably been treated as his money, part of his estate and then your Grandmother's estate in due course. Do you have any idea of the institution it was with?

M6Toll Fri 12-Apr-13 12:40:41

Apparently my paternal German grandfather took out some sort of savings policy when I was born, he died ten years later. My sister believes that my Grandmother continued to pay into this account and it came to light when she died about five years ago. My father dealt with the will, but I have been estranged from him for years. My sister also fell out with my father, but much more recently and sometimes still sees him she has tried to ask about it, but gets the brush off.

I don't know if this account did exist or not, unfortunately my father has past form on financial cheating and it's very likely that he took the money for himself.

I've known about it for a while and have mostly given up the idea of ever seeing it, but money is tight at the moment and I wondered if anyone has any idea of how I go about finding out if the account did exist. I don't speak German, but my sister does so she could help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now