Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can anyone help me re tax credits and maternity leave please

(6 Posts)
SnazzyFizzle Fri 12-Apr-13 16:50:43

Thanks RedHelen thats a relief!

RedHelenB Fri 12-Apr-13 16:43:02

If you are still entitled to tax credits they will take it back monthly out of future awards so you shouldn't be left with nothing this month!

SnazzyFizzle Fri 12-Apr-13 16:12:25

Does anyone else know anything about this?

SnazzyFizzle Thu 11-Apr-13 21:31:08

Thanks LIZS thats what I am dreading, I wont get my first paycheque from work until the end of next month so im relying on tax credits for food, bills etc sad

LIZS Thu 11-Apr-13 21:26:50

Not sure if it works the same but when we were overpaid Child Benefit the payments stopped until we had offset the amount.

SnazzyFizzle Thu 11-Apr-13 21:24:01

I am a single parent on a low income so I am entited to working and child tax credits.

I applied for the credits during my maternity leave and went back to work this week part time so I rang hrmc to inform them of the change in my hours. They told me that I should have only been paid for the first 39 weeks of my maternity leave but I took a year and received the payments throughout I genuinely did not know about the 39 week cap. So now I obviously know I will have to pay these weeks back but does anybody know how this works? Will they stop my payments until I have paid bacl what I owe?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now