Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is 150k a large mortgage?

(80 Posts)
julesjam Thu 11-Apr-13 15:07:19

...for a 4/5 bed house in Scotland, garden, garage, 2 recep etc. worth around 250k

Payments would be around 600/month. We're lucky to have a small mortgage atm because we bought about 8 years ago, so have a lot of equity in the current property, but increasing to 150k would more or less double our payments.

Is this reasonable? I'm trying to convince DH that it's doable but I think he's a bit shock. Am I, in fact, deluding myself??

Lavenderandlimes Thu 16-May-13 12:54:03

You need to work out if you can afford it if
*you go to one salary (illness job loss)
*that you can afford the repayments when the interest rates return to normal in 5 years....

peteypiranha Sat 08-Jun-13 00:21:34

150k is a small mortgage imo

MadeOfStarDust Sat 08-Jun-13 17:04:08

Is that an interest only mortgage? - how would you pay back capital? - can you even get an interest only mortgage of that size ?

olivo Sat 08-Jun-13 19:22:55

Not to us, ours is £350 k. But it depends how many years you have put it over, and how much you bring home.

olivo Sat 08-Jun-13 19:23:44

Oh, also, they way we see it is the proportion it is, versus the proportion of the house that actually belongs to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now