Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do I continue to pay the mortgage when my partner has left?

(9 Posts)
kcaz10 Sun 07-Apr-13 05:55:11

Recently my husband left me taking our son.
Currently both the house and mortgage are in joint names.
We are both unemployed.
The mortgage is currently paid from my husbands account by direct debit.
Last month he did not have the funds to make payment so I transferred the money which I borrowed from my account to his.
What should I do going forward? Should I change the direct debit to be from my account?

HondaJizz Sun 07-Apr-13 07:16:14

Yes. And seek legal advice ASAP...

Are you ok OP?

TheSecondComing Sun 07-Apr-13 07:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedHelenB Sun 07-Apr-13 08:36:17

If you are unemployed (on JSA?) you may get some help with mortgage payments but if you/your ex don't pay you are both responsible for the debt.

LIZS Sun 07-Apr-13 08:40:39

To keep the house you need to find the money between you . If you have paid until now why can he suddenly not find funds ?

kcaz10 Sun 07-Apr-13 08:51:36

LIZS we have no funds because no money went into the business account for 6 months. He has just signed on for Jobseekers allowance now he has left. I'm just living a nightmare and going to sign up for jobseekers allowance next week. For 6 months we have been living off borrowed money hence the strain on our relationship.

kcaz10 Sun 07-Apr-13 08:53:06

TheSecondComing he took my son because ......... long story. Cut it short I was on the last day of my detox from alcohol which made it tough but not as tough as when he had gone through.

LIZS Sun 07-Apr-13 08:54:02

so how are you paying this month ? I doubt you'll qualify for any assistance with payments especially if you have no dependent children living there and if you are deemed to have made yourself unemployed or not paid NI you may not even get JSA for the time being.

TheSecondComing Sun 07-Apr-13 09:32:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now