Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is anyone affected by the benefit cap?

(8 Posts)
Lj8893 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:42:30

I don't live in Belgium! I've never even been to Belgium, not sure where you got that from?!?!

Lived in the uk all my life! Am currently not claiming benefits but once baby is here we shall be looking at working tax credits and child tax credits, and so the benefit change over is quite a scary thought. We will certainly struggle if we are not entitled to claim. And I dread to think how many of my single parent friends will cope.

Portofino Sat 06-Apr-13 14:02:19

And indeed I do live in Belgium at the moment (though I am intrigued that you sought to check me out wink) but that does not mean I do not care about what is happening, as I have a UK pension, and lots of friends and family in the UK, and will no doubt be back one day.

Portofino Sat 06-Apr-13 13:57:40

Of course it is worthy of debate. Every other thread seems to be on the subject of the cuts at the moment and people are rightfully upset about it. But when a new poster rocks up and frames a question like that without giving their own thoughts it screams Journo to me. If you're not, then fair enough.

JakeBullet Sat 06-Apr-13 12:54:16

I am affected only in as much as I am now making a contribution to my council tax. I am more than happy to do this as when in work I always paid. However, as there is only myself and my DS it's easier to find the small contribution. I don't know how other families are faring with it.

I haven't been affected by the bedroom tax as I have a two bed house.

Daisydoesdancing Sat 06-Apr-13 12:44:16

Thanks for your replies. I am neither personally affected nor writing an article or researching for one.

The subject is very topical and I believe worthy of debate. I just wondered what people thought of the cuts, whether they are affected and how they will deal with those effects.

Lj8893 - I am being honest and upfront. Although I'm not sure why you would be reading this thread at all since living in Belgium it would have no bearing on you either. So YOU be honest and upfront - why are you interested?

Lj8893 Fri 05-Apr-13 20:54:01

At least be honest and upfront if you are researching for an article, professional or educational.

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 20:46:05

So are you personally affected or wanting to write an article?

Daisydoesdancing Fri 05-Apr-13 20:44:41

Just wondering (now the pilot scheme has started in parts of London) if anyone has been affected by the £500 a week benefit cap? If so are you likely to spend less on feeding your family? Or will you fall into rent arrears? How will you (or plan to) manage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now