Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Office of local MP got further in one call than I have in four weeks!

(3 Posts)
candodad Thu 04-Apr-13 19:47:46

To start with I accepted our claim was chosen to be "randomly" checked.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't random since in 2010 we were paying over £1100 in child care for two children. I didn't mind that.

Its the year of chasing them and them only apparently recieving the letters that I send recorded delivery that annoys me. What annoys me even more is that despite being told our appeal is correct and we are in the right they have no time scale in place to correct the situation.

Oodsigma Thu 04-Apr-13 18:37:34

This is why we don't claim. I had years of this and was regularly at MPs office for them to solve a problem then another would arise & I'd start again.

Unfortunately now we may have to claim & I'm actually scared of the letters.

candodad Thu 04-Apr-13 17:13:27

Long story short I have had a tax credit issue for best part of a year and a half. HMRC cancelled a legitimate claim meaning that while it was looked in to therewas no claim for 2012/13. The appeal was "heard" and we were successful (after six months of waiting) But then told they had no idea how much was over/under paid for any of the tax years (2010 - to date) until a claim for 2012/13 was re-instated but had no idea how long that would take. The last part of all this has taken me four weeks to establish.

In one phone call the office of my local MP has managed to find out there was an overpayment in 2010/11, we were fine in 2011/12 and there is of course a huge underpayment (never had one payment this year) for 2012/13. The funny thing is noone seems to know how long sorting out the 2012/13 year will take to deal with.

Am I crazy or should this be simple stuff to HMRC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now