Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

work part time, am on payroll, have never had holiday pay, what to do?

(13 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Thu 11-Apr-13 20:16:48

I employ a casual student for 9 hours per week term time only earning below the LEL and even she gets holiday pay

She used to get a higher rate to reflect inbuilt holiday pay but this is now not legal so we had to changecrhecway we work it out.

SugarPasteGreyhound Thu 11-Apr-13 20:11:25

If you have been employed continuously by the same company for two years or more, then it us likely that you may now have permanent employment rights, regardless of the lack of contract.

Check your home insurance policy- quite often there will be a free legal advice helpline you can ring, where you could get some general advice

AnythingNotEverything Sat 06-Apr-13 22:43:43

But you have a head office? This must be a reasonably sized company, even if your place of work is small.

You do need to sort this urgently. If you're not getting holiday pay, are you sure they have you on the right tax code and are paying your NI contributions?

Holiday pay is a basic right of employment. You earn something like an hour's paid holiday for every 8 hours you work (or something similar!). Without paid holiday, you're basically earning less, as you're having to subsidise your own holidays.

Have you any written correspondence from work? Maybe about your salary or place of work? Rules of conduct? Anything like that could prior you have a de facto contract ie that you are an employee.

I'd talk to CAB for advice.

BriansBrain Sat 06-Apr-13 22:32:29

How many days a week do you work? You are entitled to holiday pay and was does (get mw) mean?

ssd Sat 06-Apr-13 22:28:42

no its a tiny private club

BriansBrain Sat 06-Apr-13 17:26:46

They can't just want to get rid of you and you are entitled to holiday pay.

Do you have a HR department?

ssd Sat 06-Apr-13 16:32:29

not yet

have no contract and think they want to get rid of me as they can get 16 yr olds cheaper (get mw)

BriansBrain Sat 06-Apr-13 14:33:00

Did you get it sorted ssd?

Bluelightsandsirens Wed 03-Apr-13 17:53:37

Also some companies run their holiday period April to April so you may want to check that.

Bluelightsandsirens Wed 03-Apr-13 17:06:28

How many holiday days did you take last year and were you just not paid for these days?

We don't pay sick pay at our company but you do go on to ssp after a certain amount of days (3 or 5 can't remember)

Your entitlement is worked out on how many days per week you work, I am part time but work 5 days a week so get 30 days per year inc bank holidays. Do you work on bank holidays? They would be given as lieu days if you work them.

Lj8893 Wed 03-Apr-13 17:03:18

Of course you entitled to holiday!! As a p/t your holiday would be worked at a pro rata basis. Are you sure you haven't been entitled to it but just never taken it, as most companies if you don't take it by the end of the working year then you lose it.

You need to keep ringing hr, and your boss should be looking into it for you, but you may need to nag him/her.

ihatethecold Wed 03-Apr-13 17:02:56

That's awful. Speak to your HR dept.
when you signed your contract there will have been details of holiday and sick pay.
Do you have a copy of it

ssd Wed 03-Apr-13 16:55:10

have asked manager, he said speak to head office, have tried phoning them but cant get hold of anyone

have worked there 5 years on a p/t basis, have been on payroll for 18 months, never had holiday or sick pay?

surely this is illegal? other part timers have had holiday pay, I'm not supposed to know this!!

how can I get what I'm due, back dated if possible?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now