Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cash isa crappy rate

(8 Posts)
montmartre Thu 04-Apr-13 00:25:37

3 weeks? you won't get paid interest on any account for 3 weeks I'm afraid. The smallest amount of time you can get interest over in most personal accounts is a month.

arghhhhhhhhhh Wed 03-Apr-13 22:24:13

but i need to take it out in three weeks anyway so no point in moving it for three weeks is there?sad

ChookKeeper Wed 03-Apr-13 21:12:08

I've just moved mine over to a Santander instant access ISA before the deadline at the end of the week.

Martin Lewis provides a guide here

SqueakyCleanNameChange Wed 03-Apr-13 21:07:30

Yes you can open a new ISA and transfer your old crappy one into it, you are not doomed to 0.5% forever.

Ask around and make sure you do a proper official transfer rather than just taking the money out.

specialsubject Wed 03-Apr-13 21:02:00

you can get 2.5% or 3% on both ISAs and other accounts if you look around.

financial institutions drop the rates according to the contract, and unless it is a long fix the rate will always be under 1% after a year. You need to work at your savings, I'm afraid.

that's funding for lending for you, and that borrowers matter much more than savers to governments and have done for years.

arghhhhhhhhhh Wed 03-Apr-13 16:20:44

true enough, i will get my piddly interest and pay of my car loan - no incentive to save. 0.5 is same rate as other savings accounts too - unreal!

montmartre Wed 03-Apr-13 16:17:20

they are really appallingly low atm, aren't they? But base rate is so low... we can't have low mortgage rates and high savings rates I'm afraid!

arghhhhhhhhhh Wed 03-Apr-13 16:10:41

i have a cash isa and im sure it was a better rate alas today i have transfered any savings into my isa so i have put in the limit and as all online have clicked on the interest details and it says 0.5% wtf!? its a variable one with halifax, i cant do anything now can i im destined to have crappy interest - am a bit annoyed - i have 7k in it - im going to get f* all arent i!? I am not loaded btw its just waiting to pay my car off as soon as interest is paid on it. grrrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now