Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage payment protection insurance/life insurance

(3 Posts)
Rowgtfc72 Thu 04-Apr-13 07:48:09

Yup, in my name only. Might be worth transferring it to his name as he is the main earner and cant afford to be out of work.Will have a chat later with him as not sure what cover he has with his life insurance. Maybe its time to do the joint thing ! Thanks for that.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Wed 03-Apr-13 18:02:45

Hi is the mortgage protection payment in your name only? You could keep paying it and transfer it all to your partner or split it. That way if anything happens he is covered too.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:48:16

Complicated one and would appreciate replies. I came out of work on the first of March. This was due to my shifts no longer being compatible with my DHs. We are managing to cover the mortgage due to taking out extra borrowing on it to pay off DHs loan which then frees up this money for mortgage repayments.When we put in for this I was working so could take in wage slips.When it finally completed I wasnt working. Have we done something wrong not telling the mortgage provider,I am looking for work and DHs wages cover the mortgage? Im asking this as the mortgage payment protector provider has just written to ask if Im still eligible for the policy. Didnt realise I wasnt as I wasnt working as Ive had this policy 2yrs now. Do I ring and cancel or can they suspend it until Im back in work?I do have decreasing term life insurance on the mortgage so do I need payment protection as well ?Mortgage is in joint names but we have separate life cover.Payment protection wont pay out as I came out of work voluntarily.Cant get critical illness cover on life insurance which is why I took out payment protection insurance.Thanks for reading !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now