Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bankruptcy??

(5 Posts)
vikingmaid Wed 03-Apr-13 10:04:31

My SBXH has left me and the kids with huge joint debt, although most in my name (I know!!). He was a mature (?) student and only I could get credit. Have been paying a DMP for about 7 years and only made a dent in the amount owed. CCCS suggest that I go bankrupt too.

I know longer hold out for buying my own house and am in private rented. But finding the money £700 + seems impossible and have no family to ask?

Any advice would be really welcome,not sure how much more I can take of the phone always ringing and letters dropping through the door!

I'm holding down two P/T jos as it is.

keli5325 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:41:53

I am sorry that you have been left in this position and left to pick up the pieces!

How much debt do you have in total?

You may get a fees exemption if you are on a low income, which means you have your court fee reduced or waived completley - not a lot but it helps.

If you are still paying your DMP, could you stop paying and save the money every month until you have the bankruptcy fee? You can make token payments to creditors until you have the fee.

You can find an excellent guide to bankruptcy support here www.debtwizard.com/debt-help/guides-and-advice/871-bankruptcy-support Bankruptcy support guide

vikingmaid Wed 03-Apr-13 12:24:51

Thanks, we owe about £36K and mostly my name, I'm teaching part time which I can live off with housing benefit but finding and extra £700 will take a lone time;(

keli5325 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:56:07
expatinscotland Wed 03-Apr-13 13:04:22

I would look to getting a fee exemption, but if CCCS's suggestion is that you go bankrupt then I'd heed their advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now