Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance cancelled without warning.

(4 Posts)
breward Wed 27-Mar-13 19:53:40

I bought a new car a month ago and insured with Quotemehappy. I was asked to upload my NCD proof, which I did when it came through from previous insurer. I got an email 3 weeks ago from quotemehappy saying NCD accepted and no further information required.

Can you imagine my shock last night when I had an email subject: 'We have cancelled you car insurance.' !!!

I opened the email to learn that quotemehappy had cancelled the policy due to not receiving NCD proof and was changing me £53 cancellation fee!!!!
This is an 'email only' insurer with no call centres or phone support. I emailed every address I could to get answers, but got no response. Their email was sent to me at 4.36pm and have now discovered they shut down all email communications at 5pm. I received an automated message saying 'due to technical difficulties emails will take longer than the usual one working day to answer.' ARGHHHHH

OH noticed that Aviva underwrite policies so we phoned all their phonelines but got put in various queues. In the end we googled 'quotemehappy reviews', only to find lots of other moans but also an Aviva complaints hotline number. Phoned that number and got hold of a lovely lady who apologied and said there was noone online at quotemehappy and she could not access policy details of a subsidary company and advised me to take out a new insurance policy as I would not be insured to drive to work in the morning.

So last night, I had to reinsure my car with a new company and write/email various letters of complaint. Also when filling out a new quote it asks 'Have you ever been declined or had insurance cancelled?' and this bumps your quote up by £100!!! Fuming

Today at 3.30pm, I get a email from quotemehappy saying they are sorry for the mistake and my car insurance has been reinstated with no lapse in cover. Great, I am now insured twice and totally p***ed off with being messed about and having no one from the company you can talk to.

Moral: Avoid Quotemehappy at all costs

TurquoiseDress Tue 21-Jun-16 06:41:15

Oh dear.

I took out car insurance with QMH last month and now really wish I hadn't!

Picked them because they came out the cheapest on compare the market.

Exactly the same thing happened to me- I uploaded my NCD certificate & had email confirmation this had been accepted.

Then a few weeks later I was told my policy had been cancelled!

After much ringing & being put on hold, 48 hours later I was told everything had been reinstated.
In the meantime had been advised that "you might not be insured"!

Now have discovered the amount I paid for the insurance is now back in our joint account!! Minus cancellation fee & 1 month of insurance fee.

Cannot believe I have another 11 months of this!

Quote me happy- avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

TurquoiseDress Tue 21-Jun-16 06:41:49

Oh just realised this is a thread from 2013!

LIZS Tue 21-Jun-16 06:54:20

You should be able to cancel the second policy within 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now