Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If you've changed utility suppliers how long did the final bill take to turn up?

(6 Posts)
stormforce10 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:01:30

I changed from Npower to Scottish Power in mid February.

i was on a dual power bill with Npower so paid for electricity and gas together on the same bill. I've recieved a bill with a large credit on it then realised it was only the electric bill. They'd applied all payments I'd made for dual power but not included gas.

I've heard nothing since though I phoned them a couple of weeks back and was told that there was a large bill due to be issued but they would not tell me how much.

I've still not received it.

I'm struggling to budget properly as I've no idea how much to put aside. A large bill could be anything from £100 to £1000 couldn't it? (or more) I hate Npower they messed me about so much now they won't tell me how much I owe them

TheNurseryCryme Tue 26-Mar-13 06:55:04

It took British Gas from August till February!

bubblesinthesky Tue 26-Mar-13 10:49:49

Really? That's appalling. Oh well I will just try to keep saving some cash just in case. I'm dreading what it will say but I know its going to come at some point I wish they'd just hurry up with the thing

dotnet Tue 26-Mar-13 15:28:43

When you sign up with a utilities company, KEEP NOTES about the deal they offer.
I was going to change from First Utility as their tariff is going up. But I'd noted that, when I signed up, the telephone salesman had told me a cashback would come my way at the end of a year as their customer.
I emailed them and got confirmation of this. As I signed up last July, I need to hang on in there as a First Utility customer on the new, higher tariff, for just under four months until this July - THEN I shall find a cheaper deal.
If I got out now, I'd be waving Bye Bye to approximately £150, two-thirds of which I have already 'earned'.
Buyer, beware.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:04

10 months when we changed from Eon to NPower, then they demanded payment immediately (about £350), offering installments over three months as their best offer. When I said I was going to pay in installments over ten months, by dd as this was what we could then afford (and have always paid every bill reliably), they got very unpleasant very fast. I complained (and complained, and complained) and, when my letter eventually arrived with someone senior they offered me about £60 to calm down and go away. (I think, had I pursued it, they'd have been in trouble for escalating so rapidly without ever letting us know what their collection and escalation protocol was).

The problem seemed to be that, even though Eon had sent a meter reader round in the final month, they were reliant on final readings I'd given to Npower, who claimed not to have received them, though they later admitted they had.

For us, this meant NPower were not billing us properly for a long time either, (one fuel not the other on a dual fuel deal, though I hadn't actually realised as they hadn't said), so we were suddenly hit with a lot of big bills at once, which, because of price rises, were higher than we'd expected.

I'm currently chasing Npower for a bill from December (and have chased, complained, complained and chased some more), as they changed their computer system late last year and, having made some stupid assumptions which contradicted information I'd given them about my account, included an estimate higher than the actual readings when they migrated my info, which now seems to be causing them difficulty.

Useless, incompetent (don't know their elbow from their) arses the lot of them, I'm afraid.

lizzywig Wed 27-Mar-13 21:30:28

We switched from Southern Electric to British Gas in June 2011 & are still waiting for the bill. We chased for several months, were given a price and were regulary told the bill was in the post. We noted times/dates/names of every call but stopped chasing them around December 2011 & kept the money aside until a couple of months ago when I found out about the back billing rule - Google it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now