Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cost of credit cards and mortgages .... the spreadsheets

(103 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Mar-13 22:07:13

A while ago I wrote a spreadsheet to help a client understand that if he bought a Bugaboo on his credit card he'd still be paying for it when the child started University

here it is
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHRoTXA5Qnlld25UWkw1TEhZZk9IYVE&authkey=CMjc4JEB&authkey=CMjc4JEB#gid=0

And then on a thread this evening, somebody asked about how to explain the risks of an interest only mortgage
so I wrote this
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dDN4clg5OXhLMGJWbHZhOEo4UTJINEE#gid=0

Enter your figures into the highlighted boxes and the sheets do the rest ....
I check them every few weeks and correct any glitches ...

kaosak Mon 05-Aug-13 22:13:25

Interesting spreadsheet thank you!

Few people have entered their details but seem to have left half the columns empty? Can't believe some don't have any outgoings whatsoever grin!

Talkinpeace Mon 05-Aug-13 22:16:57

many others have downloaded iit
and others (I am the owner so can track the edits) have gone till the number at the bottom gets to zero grin

kaosak Mon 05-Aug-13 22:21:21

I am a total dimwit, is the number at the bottom the amount you should be left with after all your outgoings? <crap with money emoticion>

Talkinpeace Mon 05-Aug-13 22:24:39

sorry, yes ....

I set it out like that so that you put in your income and then the outgoings that are more and more discretionary as you go down ....

moomoo1967 Thu 08-Aug-13 13:42:13

unfortunately I cannot access it, it gives me the message that it is unavailable

Talkinpeace Thu 08-Aug-13 15:04:58

all three are open on my machine ....
try again, just click the links

moomoo1967 Fri 09-Aug-13 09:04:56

I have lol it just says "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" we can only use internet explorer in work but I have googlechrome at home so may have to wait until I get home

Talkinpeace Tue 27-Aug-13 21:56:43

bumped for bennismum

cozietoesie Wed 28-Aug-13 19:29:56

One of the great resources, Talkin.

Talkinpeace Fri 30-Aug-13 16:37:53

Just a quick message to ANYBODY looking at buying a house

Look long and hard at these charts
www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/locatiolocationlocation
before you get involved in ANY of Gideon Osborne's harebrained schemes to inflate house prices ....

UK houses are still overvalued.
DO NOT overstretch yourself
Make sure you can afford your mortgage at 2% more than today
make sure you have capital repayment in place

Talkinpeace Wed 18-Sep-13 13:16:04

just bringing this up to the top in the runup to Christmas : check before you spend ...

Talkinpeace Wed 02-Oct-13 19:55:35

well that was fun.
I log into the sheets every now and then to check they are working OK and somebody had tried to overtype lots of the formulae on one of them and broken chunks of it for other people.
Please don't.
You are welcome to download and play with them on your own computer, but please do not damage the public sheet.

Talkinpeace Tue 15-Oct-13 21:20:23

bump for greta grape

Talkinpeace Fri 25-Oct-13 14:47:03

both main spreadsheets checked and OK.
If anybody wants any adjustments, additions done, do please say :-)

Talkinpeace Tue 29-Oct-13 20:39:15

bump for southeastastra on the money board

RandomMess Tue 29-Oct-13 20:43:25

Can't you password protect them apart from the cells where people enter in amounts?

Talkinpeace Tue 29-Oct-13 20:45:10

oh dear - has somebody broken them again ...

I like to let people download them so did not make the protection too heavy!

googledocs is not great at cell protection : openoffice and excel are much niftier

will check :-)

RandomMess Tue 29-Oct-13 20:51:04

Ah it was merely a suggetion, I only use excel so assumed it would work like that - LOL!

Talkinpeace Tue 29-Oct-13 20:54:52

phew, all three are OK

if I open them on my machine in Openoffice or Excel they have all sorts of pretty protection that goes phtang when I load them onto the public drive

but I check them every now and then so it seems they are doing the job !

southeastastra Tue 29-Oct-13 21:02:37

oh my, i'll be paying this off until 2021 at this rate sad

southeastastra Tue 29-Oct-13 21:10:01

thanks for this, i now see what a muppet i've been

RandomMess Tue 29-Oct-13 21:11:47

Worth switching the balance to an a low rate one???

southeastastra Tue 29-Oct-13 21:19:52

have done with already random but can only transfer a small amount, hopefully that will go up in time and i can transfer more.

serves me right really, i know it's no defence but i have a year out of work and it just snowballed from there.

Clargo55 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:21:40

Thanks OP, this is a great resource. Love spreadsheets.

Talkinpeace Tue 29-Oct-13 21:32:20

southeast
if you are paying £123 this month, pay £123 every month - do not reduce the amount as the balance drops .... see what happens overall .... you'll save a fortune

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now