Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I ask what the maternity and paternity leave provisions are in the companies you work for?

(14 Posts)
MostlyCake Sun 24-Mar-13 21:28:30

Thanks again everyone!

FrillyMilly Sun 24-Mar-13 09:27:46

I work for a company with approx 100k employees. Maternity leave is 18 weeks full pay and then on to statutory pay. Paternity pay above the statutory is at managers discretion but seems to be 2-3 days full pay then remainder of 2 week on statutory pay.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 24-Mar-13 09:27:07

I get 6 full, 3 statutory in the Civil Service. I have friends who work fOr non-public sector who have the same. One friend working for a multinational received 12 months full pay.

Remember that during the period of statutory entitlement the employer will be making up the difference between the Stat pay and whatever they pay, so 'full pay' doesn't cost the business 'full pay'.

floatyjosmum Sun 24-Mar-13 09:16:52

I work for the council and get the statutory pay plus 50% pay between weeks 7 and 18. This extra bit is only because I've said I'm going back and for length of service. Otherwise it would be statutory only

i got 6 months full pay and 3 months of SMP, if I choose to stay off for the other 3 months it will be unpaid. My OH got 2 weeks of paternity leave. I work as a civil servant

SueDunome Fri 22-Mar-13 23:27:49

4 weeks full pay, 6 weeks 90%, 16 weeks half pay, then remaining statutory. Requirement to return to work for thirteen weeks to keep contractual maternity pay.

MostlyCake Fri 22-Mar-13 23:22:44

Thanks very much everyone! Will let you know how I get on!

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 22-Mar-13 14:58:43

I work for a large US IT company with about around 70k employees. We get 18 weeks full pay, and then it's the standard UK maternity benefit of SMP to 39 weeks and nothing to 52 weeks. We don't have a return to work bonus.

Paternity leave is 8 days on full pay and 2 days on SPP.

speak2me Fri 22-Mar-13 12:07:42

I work for a utility company, approx 1500 staff. If you have over a year's service you are entitled to 3 months full pay, but must return to work after mat leave for a minimum of 13 weeks.
DH works in IT, global company approx 4000 employees, was entitled to one additional week full pay on top of the 2 weeks stat paternity leave.

LadyKooKoo Fri 22-Mar-13 09:06:35

I work for a real estate subsidary of a bank, we are in 31 countries so thousands of employees. I get 3 months full pay, 6 months statutory, 3 months nothing. If I return to work before the end of the 12 months I get a bonus after three months which is equivelent to 6 weeks salary.

C0smos Fri 22-Mar-13 08:46:01

I live overseas, my company maternity policy improves with length if service. My first child I had within the first 2 years of emloyment, I got 4 months maternity leave, totally unpaid and I had to pay back the company the money they paid for my medical and pension fund, so basically they cut my salary for the 6 months I was back, financially I would have been better off if I'd resigned.
Now I have been with the company for 5 years I get 6months off, 3 months full pay, 3 months nothing but they pay my medical and pension for the whole time.
Paternity leave is 3 days full pay which I think is fine, my DH will take holiday for another week or so.

Not similar business but in the public sector it's generally 6 months full pay, 2 weeks full pay for paternity. A friend works at one of the 'big four' accountancy firms and got 6 months full pay plus a bonus for returning at 12 months, I think she would have had to give the bonus back if she hadn't stayed for the next year. I quite like the bonus idea makes more financial sense for the employer.

50BalesOfHay Fri 22-Mar-13 08:34:19

Not directly relevant, but an example of wonderful practice, our young teen is pregnant and both dh and I are being given maternity/paternity leave by our employers.

MostlyCake Fri 22-Mar-13 08:25:06

Hi,

I am trying to encourage the company I work for to improve its maternity and paternity provisions from statutory pay only to perhaps 2 months on full pay for maternity leave and 2 weeks for paternity.

They are a global engineering/environmental company with over 14,000 employees, the business model is to take over small companies and leave them to effectively self manage within certain boundaries so differnt companies within the global group have very different policies. My company has around 140 employees. I think they could value the contribution made by parents both before going on leave and to encourage them to come back by improving maternity/paternity pay.

To do this I would like to be able to show examples of maternity and paternity provision within similar companies. If people didn't mind, could they email me with the general details of what is offered in the company they work for? I dont want handbooks or full policies so there shouldn't be any issue with confidentiality, but if possible it would be really good to know the company name...No worries if you're not comfortable with this!

Perhaps you could PM me? Not sure how this works - if you cant PM I'll leave an email address.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now