Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Statutory Maternity Pay

(8 Posts)
MissEverdeen Wed 20-Mar-13 07:43:47

Thank you so much!!

LIZS Tue 19-Mar-13 15:30:29

You won't get SMP from your second job as you won't have been employed by them long enough (minimum of 26 weeks up to the 15th week before the baby is due) nor form the current one if you leave now regardless of how much you earn. MA is Maternity Allowance which is for those who do not qualify for SMP due to not working continuously for an employer or earning a low wage. SMP info and MA info

MissEverdeen Tue 19-Mar-13 11:20:37

hmmm what's MA?
I normally work much more than that and will have eaned an ave of at least £150/wk at my second job does that count towards it?

LIZS Tue 19-Mar-13 07:16:45

but if you've only worked 5 hours in 4 weeks that isn't going to average out as £102+ per week so you'd still get MA only.

MissEverdeen Mon 18-Mar-13 23:37:49

I think "your work has temporarily ceased because your employer was unable to offer you any work" might be the one I'll go for and chat to my boss and explain my predicament

MissEverdeen Mon 18-Mar-13 23:35:31

Thank you, I didn't really think so either but was holding out hope, it's just so frustrating angry

LIZS Mon 18-Mar-13 17:20:47

No I don't think so as you won't have been in the same job for the qualifying weeks, long enough. Even then you need to earn over a minimum amount (£107per week) to get SMP but you may still get Maternity Allowance. Have a look here

MissEverdeen Mon 18-Mar-13 16:54:08

Help! I'm 15weeks pregnant and I currently work in a pub, which I don't feel is an entirely appropriate place for me to be working, however I have continued to work as hard as I have before I was pregnant however the pub have dramatically cut my hours (5 hours in 4 weeks) so I found myself a new job who knew I was pregnant when they hired me and understand that Im restricted on what I can do but will give me as many hours as possible.
I'd like to quit my original job (at the pub) without any hard feelings and without a tribunal!
If I do quit do I still qualify for statutory maternity pay? I rang HMRC today and they didn't have a clue.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now