Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cypress banks.

(9 Posts)
dingit Mon 18-Mar-13 13:27:46

Anyone else worried that it could happen here? I had never thought of it until I read a report in Money Week predicting this very thing. I am not an expert on economics, but the way this country is going, nothing would surprise me. Any clever people that could put my mind at rest?

dingit Mon 18-Mar-13 13:28:15

Or even Cyprus banks blush

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-Mar-13 13:34:44

Highly unlikely. It is being used to fund the bail out of their banks as their government can't afford it. Their banking sector is much riskier than ours for a variety of reasons.

dingit Mon 18-Mar-13 13:37:09

Read this: www.moneyweek.com/endofbritain

dingit Mon 18-Mar-13 13:37:43

Sorry not sure how to do link on my ipad blush

RedHelenB Mon 18-Mar-13 14:02:25

Everyone would take their money out the banks _ i can't see it happening any time soon in this country tbh.

dingit Mon 18-Mar-13 14:09:02

I think that is what the article suggests. Think the only safe pace left is under your mattress!

RedHelenB Mon 18-Mar-13 14:15:58

Everyone would take their money out the banks _ i can't see it happening any time soon in this country tbh.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 18-Mar-13 14:40:55

Hang on a minute.... the Labour Party are always going on about taxing wealth rather than income. The Lib Dems are quite keen to penalise anyone they class as living in a 'mansion', for example. Only a hop and a skip to raid savings accounts once that kind of thinking takes hold IMHO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now