Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anybody used online conveyancing?

(10 Posts)
specialsubject Mon 18-Mar-13 17:29:37

stamp duty is indeed payable within 30 days of completion. Search fees, mortgage fees, survey, removal costs...

about £500 +VAT per transaction is reasonable, my solicitor (found online) did it for that and was a real person who was helpful. Stay away from the seriously cheap ones. Stamps to post things to a solicitor are not so expensive as to make the £300+ premium seemingly charged on the high street worthwhile.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 18-Mar-13 12:48:54

I think some lenders might cover the valuation fee, but yes, you might have to. Don't forget the survey too.

Oh I hadn't even thought of mortgage fees, there'll be a valuation fee too no doubt?

Mortgage broker is coming out to see us tonight and fill paperwork etc out so will ask the question then. I had the deposit all sorted but now need loads more for all these fees/taxes etc angry

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 18-Mar-13 12:38:43

grin Brokers not brothers.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 18-Mar-13 12:37:31

Hmm, I think our solicitor accepts credit card payments on their charges, but not on disbursements (everything that they pay out on your behalf, i.e. searches and stamp duty if I understand correctly) unless you pay them what it costs them to accept a credit card payment. So, it would definitely be worth asking them about.

Two other things worth looking into - I think that stamp duty might be payable within 30 days of exchange of contracts, so it might be worth asking your solicitor about this (and presumably something similar will apply to solicitor fees?). Also, some mortgage brothers advise adding the mortgage fee and valuation fee onto the mortgage, as you don't then lose these if everything falls over.

<disclaimer, I'm learning about this too! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon>

It's a nightmare isn't it!

I was hoping to put the solicitor fees and stamp duty onto my 0% credit card so that I can pay them off over a year - do you know if that's possible?

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 18-Mar-13 12:03:03

I know, there's such a lot to pay at once! Apparently buying is more complicated than selling too, which pushed us towards using local solicitor even more.

Yes, being able to drop forms off would be so much easier. I've found a few prices online though that are quite a bit cheaper than local firms.

I know that ultimately you get what you pay for but with deposit, stamp duty etc, things are a bit tight!

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 18-Mar-13 11:50:27

I've definitely seen MNers recommend some online conveyances. But grin... we've decided to use a local firm that we've had a personal recommendation for. It just seems like such an important thing - I want someone who is very good and thorough, and who we can drop forms etc off to in person. I hope that this will keep things moving as fast as possible.

And if so, can you recommend a company?

Or should I use a local firm? This is just for a purchase, no sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now