Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

A question about cash isas

(9 Posts)
Toasttoppers Tue 19-Mar-13 19:13:50

Nationwide were offering some kind of special isa for first time buyers to save a deposit.Shop around for best rates. M&S had the best rates at one point. If you know that you will be saving for at least a few years consider a no risk isa bond. It means your money is tied up but in doing this three years ago I managed to get a far better rate.

You can also increase the amount saved with a tracker isa allowance, that is risky as linked to stock market. A cash isa is totally safe though. Also chek withdrawal penalties.

PinkPenguin36 Sun 17-Mar-13 10:15:12

Thank you cogito smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 17-Mar-13 09:58:23

Incidentally... you also have a Cash ISA allowance. If he's already used up his allowance for 2012/13 there's nothing to stop you opening one in your name and depositing £5,640 before April. Then you can deposit £5,760 each in 2013/14 and so forth.

PinkPenguin36 Sun 17-Mar-13 09:58:21

mrsminivers no not stating the obvious but he is doing it above board with tax etc! Just don't want to pay tax on saving for our deposit! smile

Probably stating the obvious here, but the interest accrued on the money in the ISA is tax free, but you still have to pay tax on the business profits before you put it in.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 17-Mar-13 09:56:00

It's actually gone up a little for 2013/14 to £5,760. You can keep adding to the same ISA each year but some providers allow you to open a new one and transfer your existing balance in using the 'ISA wrapper'. Worth doing a few comparisons before deciding.

PinkPenguin36 Sun 17-Mar-13 09:52:38

Thank you - so if yu kept adding in the cash allowance each tax year you can end up with a sizeable tax free lump sum?? Saving for a house deposit!

norkmonster Sun 17-Mar-13 09:42:36

Yes - limit is for the tax year only, so as soon as new tax year begins on 6.4.13 you can put in £5,640 (I think is the limit for cash isa in one year)

PinkPenguin36 Sun 17-Mar-13 09:39:57

Please forgive my ignorance but I have a question about cash isas and can't find a clear answer from google!

We have some business profits to save (this will be ongoing, not massive amounts). My husband has a cash isa and has saved the cash allowance for this tax year. When it gets to April 6 can he then add in the cash allowance again in the new tax year? And so on every year thereafter? Eg save approx £5k per tax year, tax free, so after 4 years for example have £20k in it??

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now