Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it normal for gas bills to be twice electric?

(17 Posts)
chocolatecheesecake Fri 15-Mar-13 07:30:04

I appreciate that every house and its inhabitants are different making direct comparisons of bills very difficult. However I am really surprised that our gas bill is twice as much as our electric bill, and am wondering whether there is something wrong with our (high tech unnecessarily complex imo) heating system that came with the house.

What's your gas bill like in proportion to your electric bill?

We have gas central heating, gas hobs on the cooker, but everything else is electric.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 15-Mar-13 08:27:49

On a 12 month DD basis our gas and electric are about 50/50. However, in winter we use more gas for heating and cooking whereas the electricity usage tends to be fairly even throughout the year.

chocolatecheesecake Fri 15-Mar-13 09:29:31

Thanks cogito. In winter how much more is your gas than electric?

Rockchick1984 Fri 15-Mar-13 10:02:29

Ours is about 60/40 split - we have gas heating and dual fuel cooker but other than that it's all electric.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 15-Mar-13 11:58:49

In the winter quarter it is very much a 70:30 split Gas:Electric in Spring and Autumn it is roughly 50:50 and in the summer it is 30:70. I can get daily consumption figures for gas comparing it to the mean daily temperature and it is interesting the moment the mean temperature drops below 10degrees how much more gas the heating uses.

Passiveaggressivecakeeater Fri 15-Mar-13 12:14:56

Well I've just got our bill for the month and the electric is £10 and the gas is £130. sad

Last gas bill was £65 for 2 months. I put about a tenner on the electric key every week.

Passive £130? Why so high?

Passiveaggressivecakeeater Fri 15-Mar-13 23:05:39

I don't know. I've just moved in, the bill is dated from the day I moved in to 3 weeks later. I've had the heating on a LOT though because DH is African. grin

I've turned it down and started using the log fire now. Can't be dealing with that sized bill every month!

No that is crazy. It has been bloody cold though! I am a tight arse with the gas & only have the heating on for 2/3 hours a day max. Roll on Spring, I'm fed up with feeling cold!

aufaniae Sat 16-Mar-13 09:30:11

Our bill is £500 for gas & electric for a quarter sad but £130 just for gas for a month? That's huge!

Is it an estimate or from a reading?

Mind you my mum has recently moved into a place & managed to use £50 of gas in a week (card meter). She is trying to get to grips with the boiler & the heating was on 18 hours a day!

LIZS Sat 16-Mar-13 10:15:54

Ours is 40:60 gas to electricity over the course of a year but during the winter months gas usage exceeds electric by about 65:35 (Gas around £130pcm at peak), so it depends what period you are looking at.

PolterGoose Sat 16-Mar-13 10:56:53

Ours is £130 gas and £50 electric a month. 3 bed detached stone cottage, but I refuse to be cold and need to use a drier to avoid condensation. Gas should go down when we replace the boiler.

chocolatecheesecake Sun 17-Mar-13 06:37:17

Lonecat that's interesting re. Temp being below 10C. Thanks everyone for confirming that my gas/elec spend may be normal for this time of year. I will relax my paranoia about our central heating system.

I have just moved to monthly billing where I provide monthly meter readings so am much more aware now of usage, hence this thread. I always got frustrated with my dad's economy measures with the heating as a child but am getting increasingly Scrooge like myself!

zwischenzug Sun 17-Mar-13 07:02:58

In winter it's very normal. We use about £10 mth in summer and £90 mth in winter. Although we've just had the cavity walls done so hopefully that will help a bit. Electricity is about £40 mth I think.

MrsHiddleston Sun 17-Mar-13 07:04:35

Ours is usually 65/35 gas/electric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now