Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Who should be named in the mortgage?

(7 Posts)
ItsAllTLAsToMe Wed 13-Mar-13 07:09:10

I think you're all right smile.

Apparently, I may have got the wring end of the stick - DH thinks that as things are, I'll be named on the mortgage, but my finances won't be taken into account. We're going to talk to our mortgage broker today.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Mar-13 06:48:01

If you'll be paying towards the mortgage in any way, I think you should be named on it. Your name should certainly appear on the house deeds. When you get mortgage protection insurance, presumably your life will be insured as well as his?

Legally i.e. in the event of a divorce, as a wife you would be regarded as joint owner of the property. So whether you are named or not named is less important. However, psychologically, I think it's very important to be regarded as an equal partner. Not just someone that lives in 'his house'.

even when we didnt make a joint application and was not on the mortgage I had to sign a Consent to Mortgage form. I was added to the mortgage at a later date (had to pay a fee to do so)

ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 12-Mar-13 21:39:02

It was probably daft - it was because we didn't want to borrow a huge amount, and because my job is a contract, whereas DH's is permanent.

LadyKooKoo Tue 12-Mar-13 21:23:02

Yes you need to be named on the mortgage! Why have you not made a joint application?

ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 12-Mar-13 21:06:05

first house, not our guest house grin.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 12-Mar-13 21:05:14

DH has a mortgage decision in principle, and we've had an offer accepted for our guest house today.

Should I be named on the mortgage though? Are there different ways to do this? <clueless, sorry>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now